Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Associate Director Perioperative Services at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 207722
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: M-F
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- This position provides operational and organizational leadership to multiple non-nursing clinical departments in PeriOperative Services. Ensures consistent application of policies, procedures and practices across the various departments in PeriOperative Services.
- Including: HUP PeriOp - 85 OR's s, 3 Labor and Delivery OR's, PreOp/ PACU (150 bays). Ground White (10 rooms), Instrument Processing and Scope Processing, Perelman Surgi Centre - 9 OR's Pre and Post Op Units, Instrument Processing Perelman Endoscopy Center - 12 procedure rooms, Pre and Post op Units - Scope Processing. The associate director is responsible for facilitating OR flow which supports physician productivity and helps to generate over $500 million to HUP's NPR. This position also has responsibility for PeriOp non-clinical departments and initiatives.
- Clinical Departments:
- This position works with the department managers and directors to plan, develop, implement and direct the daily operations of the following PeriOperative non-nursing Clinical departments:
- Anesthesia Technicians - support of patients receiving all types of anesthesia in all settings at HUP and Perelman Center. Provides support to anesthesia attendings, fellows. residents and CRNA's.
- Radiation technologists - specialized group that provides support to complex angiographic interventional surgical procedures. Responsible for ensuring safety of patients and employees relative to radiation exposure. Also responsible for proper use of multimillion dollar interventional operative suites.
- Neuromonitoring- specialized clinical group that provides specific intraoperative monitoring for complex surgical procedures.
- Perfusion - acts as the liaison for PeriOperative Services with the perfusion group. Works with chief perfusionist and administrator to provide ongoing. routine communication of all polices. practices and information relative to the department. Non clinical Support Departments:
- Surgical Support and Transport- transportation of patients and objects to and from the clinical and non-clinical departments; between case cleaning and terminal cleaning. Stocking of all supplies necessary for room turnover, scrubbing, personal protective attire, etc. Assist in direct patient care in all areas, i.e., positioning patients, set-up of specialized OR table equipment, pre-op check-in and post-op ambulation of patients, etc.
- Technical Supervisors - 24/7 on site supervisory oversight of all PeriOperative support departments. This group provides leadership, direction and acts as a technical resource for all PeriOp staff.
- PeriOperative Communications - oversees internal and external communications for PeriOperative Services. Includes newsletter, digital signs, information updates, weekly construction and facilities activities etc. Works with UPHS departments for external communication relative to HUP PeriOperative Services.
- Summary of Additional Accountabilities: Financial Management:
- Directs the efficient and effective management of equipment and supplies across Clinical Support groups
- Reviews monthly financial reports with managers/ supervisors and directors to monitor supply usage and FTE numbers and account for variances.
- Works with finance colleagues to make changes to monthly financial reports as needed and to explain variances.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual operating budget ($69M) for PeriOperative Services.
- Works with managers and supervisors to: Monitor fte's/ vacancies/ payroll
- Achieve desired FTE productivity metrics
- Achieve optimal use of staff to meet clinical support requirements Represents PeriOperative Non-Nursing Clinical Support Services in various meetings and committees- at the department, entity and system level.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Directors/ Managers and Supervisors of these clinical support departments. Recruits, hires, terminates and conducts performance management for direct reports of these Departments. PeriOperative Construction - acts as point person for multiple construction projects for PeriOperative Services, including Silverstein OR's, South Pavilion Expansion - 3rd and 4th floor, Patient Receiving Area (face of PeriOp), and Hybrid OR PeriOperative Quality and Process Improvement - responsible for active membership in Quality committee. Will assume responsibility to lead process improvement initiatives with multi-disciplinary groups.
- Will act as mentor for PIIA process. PeriOperative Executive Leadership group - responsible for active participation in leadership group. Includes thoughtful decision making and implementation and execution of policy and practice changes. OR Committee - contributing member of OR Committee for clinical departments and non-clinical initiatives.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required) Periop, Business, or Health Care and 3-5 years in Perioperative Operations
- Master of Arts or Science (Preferred) with 3-5 years in Perioperative Operations
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE