Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Sterile Processing Department Technician- Day Shift
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 206313
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full Time Day Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Sterile Processing Department (SPD) Technician carries out the safe collection of used medical equipment and instrumentation followed by decontamination, sterilization, assembling and testing as required. The SPD Technician is responsible for documentation, maintenance and distribution of medical supplies.
- Employee disassembles, cleans, inspects, prepares, assembles, sterilizes and dispenses surgical and procedure instrumentation and trays for the Operating Room, Delivery Room, nursing units, and all other ancillary departments, according to prescribed procedures and aseptic technique
- Assists in the process of providing customer departments with appropriate sterile supply inventory
- Maintains communication with customer departments regarding requests and delivery of sterile supplies
- Decontaminates, prepares, processes, and sterilizes surgical and procedure instrumentation, trays and sets for the Operating Room, Labor and Delivery Room, nursing care areas, and all other ancillary departments utilizing the established infection control guidelines and appropriate methodology and techniques
- Operates the instrumentation washers, ultra-sonic equipment, and sterilizers (steam, plasma) in the Sterile Processing Department
- Responsible for dispensing and delivery of sterilized instruments and trays to the customer units and areas
- Audits supplies and inventory levels and notifies the Lead SPD Technician/Clinical Manager when levels are low
- Assist in processing orders for supplies maintained from the Storeroom
- Employee is responsible for the unpacking and stocking the supplies on the shelves and storage areas
- Develops own knowledge via practice, observation, and attending continuing education programs. Promotes best practice by demonstrating a commitment to quality patient care.
- Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new employees.
- Supports the following organizational programs: SCIP, iCare Values, Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification, Nursing Councils, and supports Magnet. Performs job duties in accordance with these standards.
- Maintains work area and equipment in working order. Uses equipment appropriately, follows department policies for equipment and supply use, cleaning and maintenance.
- Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey readiness and maintain quality initiatives. For example, quality control measures, emergency equipment checks, department cleanliness, etc.
- CBSPD or CRCST (Required)
- Certified Registered Central Service Technician (Required)
- Must obtain within 1 year of hire
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Completion of a sterilization/processing course required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE