Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Clinical Manager Nursing Support Services
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 207592
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Day
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
General Summary Statement
Responsible for Management and Nursing Leadership of Nursing Office (Staffing Coordinator, Nursing Supervisors, and Bed Management (ITN) Nurses), Behavioral Safety Assistants (BSA), and Med-Surg/Tele Select Float Pool (SFP). Maintains oversight of the hemodialysis unit and their contracted staff. In conjunction with the Assistant Clinical Manager, the manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the departments in an efficient and cost-effective manner. The Clinical Manager will work collaboratively with other hospital services, medical staff, and administration to ensure that quality patient care is delivered. Participates in departmental performance improvement activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Supervises and manages the Nursing Office, BSA, and SFP personnel.
- Directly responsible for the interviewing, hiring and all aspects of performance management of the Nursing Office, BSA, and SFP personnel.
- Directly responsible for coaching employees when out of compliance with attendance, timeliness, and all other hospital policies and guidelines.
- Maintains oversight of new hires and their progress towards completion of orientation.
- Observes and maintains records of staff competency at least yearly and conducts all probationary and annual appraisals in a timely manner per hospital policy.
- Organizes and coordinates the daily services of the departments. Sets appropriate priorities, uses time effectively.
- Develops implements and enforces departmental policies and procedures that guide and support the provisions of services.
- Demonstrates financial accountability. Provides input on cost savings and productivity enhancements.
- Communicates regularly with staff on progress toward defined goals/required results. Is open to suggestions and new ideas from staff. Provides specific feedback, coaching and corrective action when necessary.
- Exemplifies superior customer service skills and performs service recovery when appropriate.
- Attends all management meetings and shares information with staff through regularly scheduled departmental meetings and other methods of communication.
- Fosters teamwork among staff. Engages employees in the decision-making process when appropriate.
- Values diversity.
- Demonstrates a collaborative and supportive alignment with the Department Director toward Department goals and initiatives.
Professional Role Development
- Develops own nursing knowledge via practice, observation, professional literature, networking and attending continuing education programs.
- Develop and maintains Unit Council. Mentors the UC Facilitator, by providing problem solving, conflict resolution and meeting management support.
- Evaluates outcomes of unit council against identified goals.
- Promotes best practice by demonstrating a commitment to quality patient care and the profession of nursing.
- Promotes innovation and creativity in the practice environment.
- Serves as a mentor for new employees.
- Accepts constructive feedback about performance or behaviors and shows evidence of change.
- Demonstrates verbal and writing skills that are appropriate for healthcare communication.
- Adheres to the Department of Nursing Dress Code.
Department of Nursing and Organization Support
- Attends assigned committee meetings and contributes to the committees.
- Supports Nursing Director in identification and resolution of issues.
- Participates as a leader in projects directly impacting nurse staffing and patient care.
- Meets with the Director and makes recommendations to improve any processes that fall under the assigned departments.
- Communicates support of organizational values and strategies.
- Supports the following organizational programs: Magnet®, iCare/BE Values, Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification, Nursing Councils, and integrates their standards into clinical practice and other program as they develop.
- Reviews nursing quality data, e.g. NDNQI and identifies how to apply best practice into own practice and mentor others towards meeting quality target goals.
- Maintains focus on patient throughput and facilitates efficient processes.
- Maintains the ability to perform, support, and assume the role of Nursing Supervisor when needed.
- Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey readiness and maintain quality initiatives.
- Facilitates staff meetings on a regular basis.
- Keeps office and work environment neat and organized.
- Performs other duties as designated by the Director.
Education Training and Experience
Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) is required.
MSN or other Master’s degree preferred.
Minimum of at least 3-5 years of bedside experience
Prior management or Supervisory RN experience required.
Current Pennsylvania RN License.
ACLS & PALS required within 6 months of hire
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE