Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Pharmacist I - Pensylvania Hospital
Job ID: 207822
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Hours: Day shift and every 4th weekend.
Provides comprehensive, quality medication management for patients of Penn Medicine through application of pharmacy practice standards. Reviews physician orders and dispenses medications and pharmaceutical preparations to inpatient and outpatient areas of the hospital. Maintains accurate patient profiles and monitors and helps manage drug therapies in order to achieve positive patient outcomes. Oversees pharmacy technicians and students and ensures accuracy of their work prior to dispensing. Adheres to Pharmacy Policies and Procedures and organizational goals and objectives.
- Reviews computerized, written and telephone physician medication orders accurately.
- Interprets and checks for drug allergies, correct dosages, drug interactions, polypharmacy, etc.
- Corrects and/or clarifies any ambiguous, incomplete, or erroneous orders by direct communication with the physician. Informs physician of nonformulary and restricted items as they are ordered and recommends appropriate substitution.
- Demonstrates the ability to cover all areas of the pharmacy, including inpatient, outpatient, mobile pharmacy carts, IV admixtures, hyperalimentation, and chemotherapy.
- Responsible for participation in all drug utilization evaluations and quality assurance monitors, performing clinical interventions, participating in interdisciplinary rounds, and monitoring patient medication therapies.
- Responsible for counseling patients on their medication therapies and food/drug interactions. Effectively provides drug information to physicians, nurses, and other hospital personnel.
- Assists in the supervision of pharmacy technicians and students. Ensures the accuracy of their work prior to dispensing.
- Maintains current knowledge of all policies and procedures by participation in staff meetings, reading internal communications, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining a current State of Pennsylvania licensure and for obtaining the necessary continuing education credits. Maintains a current knowledge of all advancements related to pharmacy practice through readings, hospitalsponsored programs, off-premises programs, etc.
- Complies in all activities with accreditation, legal, regulatory, and safety requirements for a specific practice setting.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, polices, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
- Current licensure in the State of Pennsylvania required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacy and 3+ years Prior hospital pharmacy experience required.
- Pharm.D from an accredited College of Pharmacy And Prior hospital pharmacy experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE