Job ID: 206661
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full Time
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Entity: Clinical Practices of University of Pennsylvania
Department: Med HUP EPS Lab
Location: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania- 3400 Spruce St
Hours: Full Time
Assists the Cardiac Electrophysiology Program at the University of Pennsylvania Health System in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer-centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets. Responsible for the administrative aspects of one to two physicians within the practice with major clinical and procedural focus, research, and other duties. Tech savvy individual with high organizational skills, excellent communication skills, and critical thinking. Leadership capabilities. Very heavy call volume practice. Cross covering additional physicians in the practice, as needed. Duties are to coordinate patient related activity for both outpatient visits and procedures. This includes: triaging telephone calls, taking messages, and providing information to internal and external customers; scheduling outpatient appointments, surgeries/procedures, outpatient diagnostic tests, and admissions as requested; obtaining procedural and medical authorizations; preparing and processing billing, and preparing and processing correspondence.
• Greets, screens, schedules and directs patients in a prompt, positive, pleasant, and helpful manner at all times even in the most adverse circumstances.
• Retrieves and processes incoming medical records/images, ensure scanning and physician review is completed.
• Ensures diagnostic testing and other evaluations are completed before visit if applicable.
• Assists attending physician with outpatient office hours including maintaining clinical schedule, closing necessary dates and moving patients if rescheduling is necessary. traveling to clinic location if applicable.
• Schedules required procedures and OR/Lab for patients at provider’s direction.
• Coordinates all procedures that need to occur prior to scheduling surgery, including but not limited to the scheduling of ancillary tests, pre-operative testing, x-rays, scans, MRIs, labs, EKGs as necessary for completion of pre-operative packages.
• Responsible for the timely submission of pre-op cases, and ensures accuracy of information and correct forms completed and signed in advance of procedure
• Processes medication refill requests, triaging to appropriate clinical staff.
• Coordinates and schedules cases with medical equipment representatives as required.
• Completes medication authorizations and obtains prior authorizations for procedures.
• Obtains medication pricing and coverage information for patients.
• Initiates Tier 1 prescription exemptions as needed.
• Schedules tests, procedures, and other clinical follow-up services as requested by the providers.
• Completes medical records requests.
• Handles all patient correspondence, including myPennMedicine messages.
• Answers and screens all phone calls and patient inquiries. Take appropriate messages/delegate to appropriate staff.
• Maintains multiple calendars, clinical schedules, surgery/procedure schedules, on call and office hours.
• Maintains physician Epic template.
• Attends and take minutes in meetings when necessary.
• Schedules travel and lodging for physicians and completes submissions of expenses for travel and other professional expenses.
• Updates CVs in FEDs.
• Create/Edit and distribute letters per attending physician direction.
• Coordinates submission and approval of journal articles, and permissions as directed
• Coordinates visits for visiting scholars.
• Coordinates visits and interview schedule for the recruitment of faculty
• On Call Schedule Management with the ability to enter and make changes to the call schedule in appropriate system, Qgenda, etc
• Use the correct CPT code for scheduling procedures/surgeries/admissions and link correct primary diagnosis
• Ensure that all operative reports and encounter forms are turned in for billing within the designated timeframes.
• Maintains comprehensive knowledge of reimbursement coverage from third party payers, managed care plans and protocols for referrals.
• Ensures all pre-registration items are completed to allow for timely and complete billing
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.