Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Location: Plainsboro, NJ
Hours: Full-Time, 40 hours per week
Benefits You'll Receive at Princeton/Penn Medicine:
· Generous Paid Time Off benefits, including seven paid holidays that will give you the work-life balance today’s world needs
· Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription coverage plan options that best fit your personal & family needs
· Tuition Assistance for both Part-Time (20+ hours) and Full-time (40 hours) employees.( 0.5 FTE and over)
· Flexible Health Savings Accounts (FSA/HAS) to save pre-tax dollars to use towards your personal & family medical costs
· 403b Retirement Savings, Penn Home Ownership Services, Commuter Benefits, Pet Insurance and Pension
· Access to company paid life insurance, temporary disability. Employee discounts and perks, including but not limited to free secure employee-only parking, optional life insurance and other. Please click on this LINK for more information regarding our amazing benefits package.
- The Pathology Laboratory Associate is responsible to provide administrative and non-technical support for Anatomic Pathology Services. She/ He acts as liaison for patients, clinicians, and their office staff regarding test request procedures, material acquisition, and report distribution, with a focus on customer service and the performance improvement goals of the department. The Pathology Lab Associate assists the Pathologists’ Assistants and Pathologists with the daily operation of the surgical pathology gross room, and is responsible for the maintenance of gross room equipment in accordance with established procedures. Works closely with the Pathologists to maintain proper workflow in the Pathology office.
- Perform electronic registration of laboratory outreach specimens. This includes verification of required demographic, insurance and physician information, and, when necessary, contacting physicians’ offices, insurance companies, patients and other hospital departments to obtain missing information.
- Retrieve, process and package slides and reports for outside consultations or second opinion as requested by pathologists, clinicians, or patients, including cases for litigation. Maintain accurate tracking records for material location and consultation report status.
- Prepare slides, reports, clinical history, and other related documents for presentation by the pathologists at Tumor Board, Breast Conference and other hospital committees as required.
- Answer phone calls with courtesy and professionalism. Maintain positive customer service at all times, referring any unresolved issues to the AP supervisor if necessary.
- Process incoming reports from reference labs and outside consultation facilities, including typing of addendums, accurately, efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Collect, triage, accession, and safeguard surgical, cytology, and dermatopathology specimens in accordance with established protocols and regulatory standards.
- Responsible for the overall maintenance and function of gross room instrumentation and supplies.
- Responsible for retrieval, ordering and submitting material to reference laboratories accurately, efficiently and in accordance with established protocols.
- Will be required to perform other laboratory responsibilities as assigned by the Section Supervisor.
- Responsible to ensure timely faxing of pathology reports to appropriate clinicians.
- Maintain appropriate inventory levels of clerical supplies and stationary for the Laboratory.
- Responsible for off-site record storage and maintenance of accurate documentation thereof.
- Assist other hospital units, clinicians, and laboratory outreach sites with questions regarding requests and reports.
- Respond promptly and positively to patients and co-workers in a respectful and courteous manner.
- Sort and distribute mail delivered to the laboratory.
- Other related duties as required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Other (Required)
- Advanced medical or science courses REQUIRED. College course work in Allied Health, Life Science, or Laboratory Science a PLUS. Two (2) to four (4) years experience in a healthcare-related setting REQUIRED Five (5) to eight (8) years experience in a clinical laboratory setting will be considered in lieu of advanced coursework. Experience with Cerner Millenium LIS - PREFERRED Experience with EPIC HIS - PREFERRED
- Associate of Arts or Science
- Associate's degree PREFERRED.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.