Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 207340
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full -Time Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
This position requires the ability to be an advocate for patient care; to perform technical and specialized work functions associated with providing quality medical care to all members of the community in the event of medical emergencies, traumatic emergencies, natural disasters, hazardous situations, environmental emergencies and other life and death situations. Shift schedules vary depending upon assignment. Supports and upholds the mission, goals, and objectives of The University of Pennsylvania Health System.
- Perform a thorough check of the ambulance, workspace and supplies at the beginning and during each shift and correct any deficiencies found.
- Perform all shift requirements as set forth by PennSTAR.
- Inventories all narcotics and medications pursuant to Narcotic Sign Off and Medication Inventory Policies
- Assist partner in the completion of inspection of ambulance to ensure readiness. Must also participate in shift briefing.
- Provides patient report to receiving facilities in a concise and appropriate manner. Communicates with PennSTAR administration and fellow crew members.
- Respond promptly to emergency dispatches in a safe manner while adhering to dispatch and response time guidelines at all times.
- Assist partner in navigating to call location and to appropriate transport site.
- Maintains familiarity with ambulance operations including but not limited to: walk around, radio communications, navigation skills, emergency procedures while responding to calls, patient loading and unloading procedures, loading and unloading with civilian assistance.
- Interacts with other EMS, Fire and Police services as required to promote patient care and rapid transport.
- Reports to work on time and in uniform with required equipment to function as crew member including but not limited to: Personal Protective Equipment, helmet, work boots and seasonal outer wear. All will be provided by PennSTAR.
- Maintains professional License, certification CEU's and all specialty classes to maintain full Medical Command status within the host EMS Region of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Provides Clinical Educational Coordinator or designee copies of all certifications and licenses as requested.
- Promptly responds to communication requests, either by phone, page or email to maintain the smooth operational status of the department.
- Maintains all required University of Pennsylvania Health System training. This includes but not limited to Human Resources, Knowledge link, continuing education, safety and HIPAA training.
- Assists in providing continuing education programs.
- Participates in committees as needed.
- Attends mandatory training as set forth by guidelines
- The staff member is expected to promote the organizational values of patient, visitor, and customer satisfaction by demonstrating courtesy, respect and professionalism for patients, families, visitors, coworkers and members of the public safety entity.
- Coordinate and supervise the safe and proper loading and offloading of patients from the ambulance.
- Participates in post call debrief to assure all aspects of the event went as expected
- Assists with lectures for Hospital, EMS, Fire and Police, schools, etc.
- Assists with lectures for Physicians, Nurses, EMS Staff and all other allied health professionals during continuing education programs.
- Participates in departmental task activities as requested.
- Integrates care with that provided by other health care professionals.
- Transfers patient to receiving hospital/providers and gives detailed report on patient findings, changes noted and care rendered.
- Provides a detailed patient care report on every dispatch including billing and collections forms. Obtains and confirms all patient information. All paperwork must be complete prior to the end of each shift.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- PA DOH EMT - Paramedic Certification - Required
- Must be a licensed driver in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with no severe driving infractions - Required
- EVOC - Required
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification - Required
- Current Pediatric Advanced Life Support or equivalent - Required
- Current Basic CPR - Required
- Pre-hospital Trauma Life Support – Required
- Basic Rescue & Firefighting classes – Preferred
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED certification - Required
- Must have one (1) year as an active paramedic with a 911 service
- Must have letter of reference from a previous Medical Director
- Must have excellent advanced skills and provide proof skills were performed not just as a verification class, but routinely in the field.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE