Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Customer Service Representative
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 208415
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Remote, M-F 8:30am-5:00pm
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Department: Call Center
Location: 3930 Chestnut Street
Hours: (must live reasonable distance from location) Remote, M-F 8:30am-5:00pm
The Customer Service Representative (CSR) in the Marketing Contact Center (MCC) serves as the "face" of Penn Medicine The position offers excellent patient-centric Customer Service to those seeking guidance and medical assistance from the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS).
The CSR provides information and access to Penn Medicine-owned and affiliated physicians, program services, and educational classes. S/he responds to multi-channel inquiries from patients, physicians, employees, etc., regarding all services offered within the Marketing Contact Center in accordance with established guidelines.
The CSR provides patients and customers with referrals to physicians and services and assists patients with appointment requests via inbound phone calls or online requests and web chat. S/he handles physician-to-physician calls (Physician Link), event and class registration, international calls, cancer calls, and transfer of care requests. In addition, the position is responsible for making outbound calls in response to web or digital marketing campaign inquiries.
The Customer Services Representative must display human qualities of empathy, compassion, kindness, and patience. The position must exemplify Penn Medicine Core Values and exhibit solid Customer Service skills, a patient-centric attitude, a collaborative team spirit, and the ability to think critically and quickly.
- Offers excellent patient-centric Customer Service to those seeking guidance and medical assistance from the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS).
- Answers inbound calls for Penn Medicine Referral Service lines to provide information and access to Penn Medicine owned and affiliated physicians, program services, and educational events; provides resources to callers.
- Provides appropriate and age-specific Penn Medicine resources.
- Gathers information from caller using skills that elicit information for appropriate and efficient responses.
- Provides Penn Medicine patients and customers with referrals to physicians and services and assists patients with appointment requests and other services via inbound phone calls or online requests and web chat.
- Performs searches and uses online reference resources to provide appropriate Physicians/services.
- Facilitates requests for appointment scheduling; provides information and performs appropriate warm transfer.
- Registers callers for events and classes using software (and Pennmedicine.org).
- Obtains/enters demographic information on new callers; verifies demographic information for existing patients.
- Transfers to appropriate nursing staff for calls involving cancer, symptom-based calls, or as per caller request.
- Handles inbound calls for international patients; gathers all required documentation and sends the call content to a follow-up queue for the Penn Global Medicine team.
- Supports the Transfer of Care program.
- Helps facilitate follow-up appointments while the patient is still in the Penn Medicine hospital.
- Receives notification via software from a Penn Medicine provider with patient’s information.
- Contacts patient by phone while they are in the hospital.
- Works closely with requesting Penn Medicine provider to ensure efficiency of appointments.
- Handles physician-to-physician (Physician Link) calls; receives calls from outside Penn Medicine providers seeking to consult with Penn Medicine providers.
- Obtains (calling) physician’s information along with the new or mutual patient’s information and attempts to connect to the Penn Medicine provider via cell phone, text message, or office number (If physicians are connected, the call is complete; if they are not able to connect, the inquiry gets sent to a Referral Nurse follow-up queue for completion.)
- Makes timely outbound calls in response to web, digital marketing campaigns, and other inquiries.
- Responds to online requests from Healthcare professionals and patients to schedule an appointment or access Penn Medicine services.
- Receives a Web Request Form from Healthcare professionals and patients (sent to a Salesforce queue in the MCC and distributed to staff for completion).
- Makes timely outbound call in response to the web request, using documented MCC guidelines.
- Utilizes the Avaya phone application to facilitate communication, including transfers to nurses, schedulers, crossfunctional departments, etc.
- Records all appropriate information in Salesforce concisely and accurately.
- Follows strict medical and legal aspects when offering referrals and performing outbound calls; protects patient confidentiality (HIPAA) at all times.
- Completes call processing efficiently; remains aware of call volumes; works as part of the team to handle the call.
- Supports the onboarding of new-hires; serves as side-by-side instructional guide; supports co-workers collegially.
- Meets Contact Center departmental productivity and process improvement objectives; assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and operational targets.
- Notifies Marketing Contact Center Manager of administrative or clinical issues and work-related problems.
- Recommends improvement to work processes, software systems, Customer Service, etc., as relevant and appropriate.
- Works as scheduled; demonstrates regular, consistent, and punctual attendance.
- Follows MCC policy requirements for time-off requests.
- Attends and participates in regularly scheduled operational meetings; reviews all minutes.
CUSTOMER SERVICE/HUMAN QUALITIES
- Assists the Marketing Contact Center in maintaining a strong patient/customer focus.
- Supports the delivery of high quality service and shares a passion for patient- and customer-centered care.
- Follows Penn Medicine Customer Service guidelines with all callers.
- Displays human qualities related to empathy, compassion, kindness, and patience.
- Accepts and follows through with constructive feedback, including results of QA monitoring and coaching sessions.
- Discusses work-related issues directly with management; avoids gossiping with co-workers.
- Collaborates willingly with management and co-workers; maintains a positive and optimistic outlook.
- Communicates sensitively with patients having possible hearing difficulties or memory/information processing
- Arranges translation services for non-English speaking callers or asks to have an English speaking person confirm
INNOVATION AND PROBLEM SOLVING
- Proactively surveys the environment to determine underlying or hidden problems that may result in potential
- hazards/issues for patients/customers and co-workers.
- Looks beyond the obvious when generating solutions and doesn’t stop at the first answer.
- Approaches problems from an organizational perspective; assesses implications of solutions to UPHS.
- Makes good and timely decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
- Displays effective professional writing skills.
- Completes forms comprehensively, clearly, and accurately.
- Prepares concise, accurate, and well-organized documentation of encounters, letters, and memos.
- Relays information via the appropriate method (e.g., letter, memo, fax, email).
- Speaks in a professional manner with callers and Penn Medicine co-workers.
- Manages telephone interactions by using appropriate titles and scripts (as appropriate) and by responding to the
- caller in a prompt, courteous, and informative manner.
- Exchanges clear/concise/accurate information via the most appropriate medium (e.g., face-to-face,
- Presents ideas and information in ways that others can easily understand.
- Conducts phone interactions using appropriate questioning, listening, clarifying, paraphrasing, and summarizing
- techniques to obtain accurate information from patients, customers, and staff.
- Participates in entity and department-wide initiatives for patient/employee safety.
- Demonstrates an awareness of patient/employee safety when carrying out daily responsibilities of the position.
UPHS CORE VALUES*
- Conveys a positive image of UPHS through excellent communication and Customer Service skills to support patients/families and ensure an ideal Patient Experience; assumes accountability for professional demeanor.
- Interacts in a positive manner with staff, physicians, patients, families, and hospital personnel; advocates for patient.
- Recognizes and respects diverse patient and employee populations.
- Is flexible in meeting departmental needs; complies with established departmental and UPHS policies and guidelines.
- Demonstrates productive use of time when not engaged in direct telephone referral activities.
- Uses established channels of communication and ensures understanding of UPHS mission, vision and values.
- Reviews all relevant and new policies/procedures and integrates into daily work; keeps current with UPHS information.
- Independently writes goals directed toward professional needs; identifies strengths/opportunities for growth/development.
- Is accountable for meeting all mandatory training/education and for documenting attendance.
- Follows the professional guidelines within the UPHS Policy Manual, Professionalism and Standards of Conduct.
- Includes elements of Penn Medicine’s mandatory online course: Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma is required
- Experience with Window applications, phone systems, the Web, and cross system navigation
- Customer Service experience (highly preferred)
- Previous work in a Healthcare setting
- Previous experience within Penn Medicine
- Marketing and/or up-sell/cross-sell experience.
- Experience with Healthcare systems, e.g., Salesforce, Epic
Required Skills and Abilities
- Must have pleasing telephone voice and manner, good diction, professional grammar, and good spelling
- Must have excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work quickly while making accurate decisions
- Ability to read, understand, and follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently within established procedures
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor at all times
- Ability to work within a busy and patient-focused environment; ability to assist co-workers when needed
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, staff, and various UPHS departments
- Ability to utilize good judgment in anticipating patient and physician needs
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
As part of our COVID-19 response, this position may currently be offering partial or full remote work. However, in the near future this position will require full or partial on-site work.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE