Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 210617
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: On-Site, M-F, 7:30am-4:00pm
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Department: Penn Med Simulation Center
Location: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania- 3400 Spruce St
Hours: On-Site, M-F, 7:30am-4:00pm
Working under limited supervision, the Simulation Educator will work with instructors, faculty, and leadership to improve patient safety and outcomes through education, assessment, research, and process improvement using simulation-based methodologies. He/she ensures all simulation-based training is aligned with a Penn Medicine benchmark and supports the underlying mission of the institution.
- Serve as subject matter expert in the application of simulation-based techniques, consulting with health system and Perelman School of Medicine faculty, instructors, educators and other stakeholders
- Serve as consultant upon initiation of diverse simulation-based projects, contracting with requesters to develop a scope of work including objectives, timelines, deliverables, and resources
- In concert with content experts, develop simulation-based curriculum leveraging the most appropriate simulation-based methodology, in response to institutional education, assessment, research and process improvement needs
- Collaborate with content experts to create and test scenarios with clear, measurable objectives based on a validated need, engage the appropriate interprofessional stakeholders, ensure that the facility, equipment and supplies are available prior to training and facilitate a session pre and post briefing
- Evaluate the outcomes of simulation activity for gaps in learner’s knowledge, technical skills, team performance and latent safety issues and communicate these effectively in writing to course instructor/faculty and other sponsors
- Partner with the Simulation Operations Team to strategize simulation center scheduling in order to maximize ability to accommodate requests
- Provide mentorship to aspiring simulation educators, faculty, instructors, ambassadors, and others seeking to use simulation for educational, assessment, research and process improvement purposes.
- Collaborate with internal, local, regional, national, and international colleagues to advance the use of simulation in healthcare education through research, teaching and education
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Health-Related Field is required (Master’s is preferred)
- 1+ years simulation lab or center experience is required
- Previous experience in education is preferred
- Required Skills and Abilities
- COMMUNICATION: Ability to navigate a political landscape with internal and external stakeholders
- COMMUNICATION: Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
- COMMUNICATION: Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff
- Knowledge of current human patient simulators, tasks trainer, low fidelity trainers and the role/relevance of simulation in medical education
- Ability to develop and oversee scenarios, establish educational objectives for each and lead the pre and post session briefing process
- Ability to assess gaps in learner’s knowledge, team performance or latent safety issues
- Ability to work well under pressure, set priorities and make critical decisions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding job assignments and sensitive issues
- Self-motivated and requires little to no supervision with the ability to work as a team member
- Flexibility and adaptability in dynamic environment; able to work occasional evening/weekends
As part of our COVID-19 response, this position may currently be offering partial or full remote work. However, in the near future this position will require full or partial on-site work.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE