This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 209086
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full Time
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Department: Surgery Resident Act
Location: 3400 Spruce St., Philadelphia
Hours: Per Departmental Needs
The Senior Director of Operations (DOS) serves as a trusted advisor to the department Chair and COO who plans, evaluates, leads and directs all clinical activities and operations of the Department. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Senior Director of Operations is the ambulatory operations leader for the Department of Surgery partnering with the Divisional Administrators (DDA), the Director of Quality, Safety, and Access, and the operations team. The Senior DOO provides operational direction and oversight, operations planning and improvement, and assures quality and patient experience for all DOS ambulatory practices, utilizing appropriate metrics to evaluate performance. The Sr. DOO develops and implements continuous improvements, while promoting and ensuring collaborative interface between all site leaders, department stakeholders (Revenue Cycle, Human Resources, Information Services, Real Estate and Design, Regulatory and Compliance, and Risk Management) to combine expertise and operationalize the Department's strategic goals and initiatives. Responsible for maintaining awareness of current healthcare trends to develop innovative and competitive strategies for workforce management and retention, enhancement of patient experience, and patient access optimization. The Senior DOO will have direct and indirect oversight of ambulatory practice sites, Practice Administrators and Managers, Providers, Staff, the operation of divisions, and patient visits. The Senior DOO will serve as the Departmental liaison for Service Line practices under DOS and be responsible for disseminating pertinent information affecting operations and patient care.
Operations Planning & Change Management
• Partners with the Chair, COO, and DDAs in establishing annual operating priorities, implementation plans, and measures of success
• Provides input for the development of the Department's strategic plan and budget• Participates as a member of the Department Leadership in the development of strategic capital and other resource priorities.
• Manages strategic capital and other resources to achieve maximum benefit to the Department
• Proactively develops change management strategy for major organizational activities and programs
• Responsible for all clinical operations as executed by Practice Administrators and Practice Managers
• Oversee the direction and execution of operations, and ensure the practice management team coordinates all practice functions to provide smooth, integrated operations.
• Ensures unified and effective patient access initiatives that promote patient-centered access to the Department for scheduling, registration, or medical care.
• Addresses interdepartmental barriers to the delivery of care, including staffing, equipment, and facilities
• Manages the implementation process for new businesses, expansion, and/or moves to new practice sites
• Develops, implements, and monitors statistical reporting of key operation metrics, and adjusts operations as needed to maintain peak performance.
• Establishes provider productivity standards in coordination with the Chiefs, DDAs
• Develops policies and procedures to reduce cancellations, bumps, no-show rates, and new patient appointment lag time
• Proactively pursues opportunities to improve the delivery of superior customer service. Address patient complaints
• Facilitates regular and consistent system communication with all stakeholders, promotes dialogue and collaboration.
• Manages relationships with all practices to ensure a positive working environment and intervenes appropriately as needed
Workforce Planning & Management
• Assures optimized staffing across sites, builds capability to flex staff to locations for coverage
• Perform staffing analysis as needed to ensure adequate staffing in ambulatory and program settings
• Provide management of staff at all sites in coordination with Human Resources, standards, policies, and guidelines
• Utilize human resource management techniques to ensure employee engagement, retention, and high morale
• Responsible for talent acquisition; submission of position justification, job posting, recruitment process, onboarding
• Ensures mandatory education compliance, evaluations, and training.
• Promotes staff development through performance evaluation, coaching, identifying development goals, and arranging educational opportunities that enhance and encourage staff professional growth and development.
• Creates and supports an environment that empowers and expects staff to: serve as ambassadors; participate in unit/department decisions; negotiate care needs of patients; accept responsibility for their contribution to patient experience, and professional competencies and growth.
• Serves as a role model in all aspects of job performance, embodying a culture of caring, commitment, integrity, and teamwork
• Strives to maximize the financial performance of the clinics through the development and implementation of management techniques to optimize revenue and control costs.
• Provides regular communication and feedback to DDAs on financial matters impacting division budgets
• Manage shared services budget, cost, and session allocation
• Closely monitor A/R, charge capture, and coding
• Partner with a Financial Analyst to perform impact analyses of actual or proposed changes in payment methodologies (i.e., APC, MAPS, RVU updates, fee schedules)
Regulatory Compliance & Quality and Patient Safety
• Ensure that care delivery is consistent with policies and standards, federal and state laws and regulations and accreditation requirements (Joint Commission, Department of Health, etc.)
• Ensures compliance with the Principles of Practice
• Supports and provides leadership to ensure practices implement and achieve quality initiatives
• Ensures that all department patient care-related processes deliver high-quality care to patients and their families, and these processes are efficient, effective, and streamlined, and are re-engineered when necessary.
• Fosters a culture of safety, encouraging the reporting of occurrences and near misses
• Collaborates with Risk Management to manage patient behaviors and/or discharges
Electronic Medical Records (EMR) & Information Systems
• Supports and provides leadership to ensure practices implement and effectively utilize the EMR
• Ensures compliance with HIPAA, record filing practices, and all related policies
• Facilitates a review of the technology infrastructure for continuity of practice operations
• Ensure practices have adequate downtime procedures
• Lean Six Sigma (Preferred)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
• Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
• And 10+ years of experience, including direct management experience – minimum 5-7 years. Health care management experience preferred - at least 2 years.
• Master of Arts or Science (Preferred)
• Leadership experience in a large integrated healthcare delivery system that uses an integrated practice management software system to register, schedule and bill patients (Preferred)
• Basic understanding of CPT and ICD-9 coding, third-party payer billing processes, pre-certification requirements, and the overall revenue cycle (Required)
• Solid understanding of the purchasing cycle (quote, requisition, purchase order, invoice, payment) and experience using ordering systems (Preferred)
Skills & Abilities:
• Experience implementing change management initiatives through the use of Lean, Six Sigma, or another performance improvement methodology.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of healthcare planning and management sufficient to manage, direct, and coordinate the operation of large physician group practices.
• Knowledge of the medical environment, physician group practice, managed care, physician compensation, healthcare contracting and regulations, and financial and operational systems.
• Must possess exceptional communication skills that will foster trust, mutual respect, and positive staff and physician relations as well as being able to articulate a clear vision.
• Skill in exercising a high degree of initiative, judgment, creativity, discretion, and decision-making to achieve organizational objectives.
• Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills in a highly matrixed organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.