Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Histology Laboratory Assistant
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 210811
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8:30am-5:00pm
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- A Laboratory Assistant in Anatomic Pathology Histology Lab is an individual trained on-the-job for clerical work and surgical specimen/ slide receipt, accession, and distribution for subsequent laboratory processing and/or diagnosis.
- Provides appropriate clear, accurate & timely intra/extra departmental communication
- Communications are professional & complete within appropriate situation context
- Facilitates communication and material transfer between Lab and Pathologists
- Enhances efficiency, production and output with appropriate task prioritization
- Participates in Pre analytic testing phase laboratory activities to include:
- Transfer of specimens between the Laboratories.
- Transferring documents between Central Admissions and the Laboratory
- Assurance of specimen receipt in accordance and Identification and verification procedures.
- Initiating tasks associated with the LIS accession process.
- Evaluating and documenting sample condition; maintaining specimen integrity
- Assurance that work areas are equipped and daily tasks completed
- Monitors and participates in Analytic testing phase laboratory activities to include: Coordinating Reagent Inventory/Supply transfer between Storage and Histology Coordinating Materials Inventory Supply transfer between Storage and Histology Transferring stained slides; transfer between Archive, Pathologists and Lab Transferring slide/block files; transfer between Finance Archive and Lab Storage Performing minor reagent activity such as filtering/filling under direct supervision Performing specimen discard activity
- Participating in technical bench support activities to include glassware management
- Performing minor PM and QC assignments such as temperature checks
- Monitors and participates in Post Analytic testing phase laboratory activities to include:
- Generating the appropriate logs and documents to satisfy archival requirements
- Maintaining archival files in the Finance Building to include transport of slides/blocks Assisting with any process procuring material from other departments
- Achieving appropriate target turnaround time for prompt service delivery
- Maintains a safe professional environment observing patient safety, identification and security procedures.
- Monitors daily activities that comply with target turnaround time and enhance workflow.
- Identifies and resolves routine problems independently using appropriate resources
- Gives report prior to leaving work area and at the end of the shift.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Prior experience in hospital laboratory receiving area preferred
Prior experience with the Laboratory Information System preferred
- Associate's Degree Allied Health(preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE