This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 124031
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Apr 8, 2022
Work Schedule: Per Departmental Needs
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology has a long tradition of excellence in patient care, residency and fellowship training, and research on women’s health and reproduction. We strive to provide outstanding comprehensive, patient-centered care and improve the health of women and their children through our translational and clinical research programs. Penn Ob/Gyn is considered a national leader in women’s health.
Penn Obstetrics and Gynecology’s national reputation places it among the leading Ob/Gyn programs in the country – highly regarded for its research and training programs. The residency and fellowship programs attract the most competitive applicants and most of our graduates remain in academic medicine. Penn dominates the market in obstetrical care in the City of Philadelphia (8800 - 9000 deliveries annually) and the department has innovative, integrated sub-specialty care and primary care programs at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Hospital and ambulatory practices in the suburbs of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Out-patient visits exceed 205,900. The department also has sub-specialty programs at Chester County Hospital. The department maintains a strong commitment to the community through the activities of the Helen O. Dickens Center for Women, city and federally-qualified health centers and Latina Community Health Services. The department has earned a national reputation as one of the top research programs in Ob/Gyn with a research budget in excess of $17 Million (FY23)
Penn OB/GYN Care offers a full-range of specialty services and programs including:
Penn Medicine is proud to have one of the premier research programs in women’s health, the Center for Research on Reproduction and Women’s Health. Here, the faculty, fellows and students are conducting basic, translational and clinical research on preterm birth, epigenetics and reproduction, fertility preservation, gamete biology, pelvic floor disorders, gynecologic oncology, contraception, premenstrual syndrome, menopause, ectopic pregnancy, maternal morbidity and mortality, infant morbidity and mortality, health equity, and health services research. The department’s Women’s Health Clinical Research Center assists faculty, residents and fellows with patient-oriented research. The Penn Ovarian Cancer Research Center is focused on early detection and the development of new therapeutic approaches such as immune therapy for the treatment of ovarian cancer. The Maternal Medicine Research program conducts translational and clinical research on adverse pregnancy outcomes and is a leader in preterm birth research.
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology clinical operations, financial performance, faculty relations, human resources, revenue cycle, communications, strategic planning, marketing and development activities. The scope of leadership includes departmental net patient revenue of $78M and oversight of 400 staff members, over 80 full time faculty and 50 trainees. The incumbent is a strategic partner with the Department Chair with a high level of collaboration in the support of the department’s mission. We are seeking a seasoned leader with specific, tangible financial, business development, faculty development, operational, research administration oversight, and overall health care business/operational acumen.
Education and Experience
· Master’s degree required, preferably MBA coupled with in-depth knowledge of healthcare financials.
· 7-10 years of progressively responsible health care operational experience in an academic medical center environment, experience in Women’s Health preferred.
· In depth knowledge of Federal reimbursement, TJC, PA-DOH rules and regulations for operating and outpatient and physician’s practice.
· Prior experience with EPIC, EXCEL, ACCESS, Hyperion.
· High level of integrity and accountability, with a personal style that builds and nurtures relationships based on team work, trust, honesty, reliability, openness and confidence.
· An entrepreneurial perspective; uses creativity to identify innovative opportunities; has an understanding of the day-to-day operations details in order to execute new initiatives.
· Ability to inspire and motivate team members and stakeholders in an environment of process improvement, significant medical advances, and organizational change.
· A strategic thinker with the willingness to take the initiative in leading change; proven track record as an effective agent of change management, tenacious, resilient, and able to utilize feedback in a constructive way.
· A mentor with abilities to develop a strong departmental leadership team and engage staff in the focus on science and medicine.
· A high competence in communication, able to interact with all stakeholders expertly and effectively.
· Well prepared, effective at running meetings, strong organizational skills and excellent follow-through.
· A commitment to equity and fairness.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.