Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Associate Hospital Executive Director
Job ID: 123264
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Apr 11, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Associate Executive Hospital Director (AEHD) for the HUP Cedar campus will provide leadership and site management for the HUP Cedar remote campus of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP). The HUP Cedar AEHD oversees the operations of the remote hospital location and coordinates strategic program development at the location with Philadelphia Health Management Corporation (PHMC). PHMC owns the building and facilitates the aggregation of other not-for-profit organizations providing health services to the West and Southwest Philadelphia community. The AEHD works closely with PHMC and other not-for-profit tenants to promote and enhance the health of the community. As the on-site operational leader, the AEHD will oversee day to day hospital operations at HUP Cedar, ensuring the location follows all hospital regulations (city, state and federal) and accreditation requirements. In addition, the AEHD, works collaboratively with stakeholders at HUP Spruce to drive performance in meeting all relevant operating and financial targets, as well as patient experience and quality/safety metrics. During the term of the Management Services Agreement with PHMC, HUP will provide property management services to include facility management, environmental and food services to all campus occupants. The AEHD will work closely with the HUP AEHDs for Facilities and Support Services to ensure that all areas follow licensure and accreditation standards.
- Decisions regarding capital and operations management of the common areas of the campus will be managed via a joint operating committee with PHMC. The AEHD will serve on this committee representing Penn Medicine and HUP. The AEHD will also oversee the preparation and approval of HUP operational and capital budgets for the HUP Cedar campus. The primary work location for the AEHD is the HUP Cedar campus.
- Partners with leadership for continued program design of hospital operations at HUP’s remote Cedar campus. Continuously assess the need to develop or alter services on the remote campus to fulfill patient care needs, including space review and utilization in compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements.
- Maximizes the financial impact of the HUP Cedar campus by growing market share, exceeding volume and other financial metrics, while managing quality, safety, service, and access.
- Provides on-site coordination for the following functions in collaboration with Nursing, Emergency Department, Behavioral Health, and other
- clinical and administrative leaders to ensure effective management and coordination of the diverse operations of the campus.
- Clinical Operations
- Plant and Maintenance
- Materials Management/Mail Room
- Patient & Guest Relations
- Security, EVS and Food Services in-house/out-sourced/vendor management
- Information System, Biomedical/Clinical Engineering
- Communication Systems - telecommunications
- Patient transport and general Ambulance Services
- Ensures that program and facility design, policies and procedures, staff and provider training are compliant with all Regulatory, Patient Affairs and Privacy policies and regulations, and consistent with all hospital policies and medical staff bylaws, rules, and regulations, as may apply.
- Works with HUP Administrative, Clinical, Finance and HR leadership to develop and continually refine the operating and financial model for the remote campus.
- Establishes and directs/supports an administrative/leadership team that ensures appropriate engagement of all critical stakeholders.
- Creates and maintain a culture that promotes collaboration, integration and innovation, and is focused on providing a superior experience for patients, providers and staff. Communicate key metrics to staff and faculty on a regular basis and direct efforts to spearhead improved performance to meet and exceed patient expectations.
- Monitors and report on remote campus-based performance metrics (such as volume, profitability, and patient satisfaction) and analyze data to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Continually assesses and supports the improvement of operations and systems that reflect seamless transitions of care. Promote innovative use of technology to improve efficiency, patient satisfaction, and increase in-system utilization.
- Works with hospital departments, providers, and hospital leadership at the remote campus as well as the main HUP campus to facilitate optimal hospital operational performance and execute improvement opportunities.
- Ensures remote campus meets all regulatory requirements and engage all occupants in consistent survey readiness on an ongoing basis including the implementation of plans of correction impacting the HUP Cedar campus.
- Coordinates and reports any guest relation issues including grievances and patient complaints through established HUP process.
- Determines the need for outside contractors and participates in the negotiation of vendor contracts; oversees all vendor services and contracts and serves as main point of contact.
- Stakeholder Relationships and Strategy
- Works collaboratively with all internal and external stakeholders on strategic and operational issues. External relationships include the building owner and health services aggregator, PHMC, community groups, the Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC), and other building tenants, as well as community leaders. Internal relationships include HUP and Penn Medicine Leadership, as well as operational leaders at the other three Penn Medicine Philadelphia-based hospitals.
- Adept at managing contracted client relationships including an understanding of labor contracting and collective bargaining as it relates to existing contracts at HUP Cedar and ensuring a close alignment with HR to ensure the organization maintains adherence to NLRB rules and policies pertaining to the Joint Employer Standard.
- Continually accesses operating procedures and proactively implements actions to improve operations of the remote campus location.
- Preserves confidentiality, privacy and dignity of patients and visitors according to HUP policy and HIPAA regulations.
- Communicates accurately, clearly, concisely and systematically to all relevant stakeholders, including staff at all levels within the organization.
- Maintains exemplary relationships with key internal and external stakeholders by employing structures that provide open lines of communication.
- Manages and maintains relationships with regulatory agencies that may conduct surveys or arrive to follow-up on patient or remote campus issues.
- Engages Hospital and Department leadership in strategic discussions around clinical services offered (ensuring coordination with the broader Service Line satellite strategies), location and physical layout for maximum efficiency and planned growth of specific services.
- Identifies opportunities and an operating model to provide for clinical research on the HUP-54th and Cedar Streets Campus.
- Actively promotes a sense of community and collaboration amongst the HUP Spruce and HUP Cedar campus providers.
- Works closely with Penn Medicine Business Development to ensure appropriate communication and coordination around physician relationships, program building, marketing, etc.
- Actively pursues opportunities within the West Philadelphia community to raise awareness of the available Penn Medicine services, working collaboratively with building management and other building tenants.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Arts or Science (Required)
- Health related area of focus required or in the process of obtaining.
5-7 years of experience in the leadership of hospital operations and services of a major academic medical center, health system or faculty practice plan
Required Skills and Abilities
The incumbent must be confident, visible, a thought leader with the ability to easily work across organizational boundaries to achieve results.
Ability to translate organizational and operational issues into understandable and meaningful solutions.
Service-oriented, future facing attitude.
Demonstrated effective communication skills and a proven history of engaging multiple stakeholders to a shared vision to accomplish goals.
Experience leading and optimizing team performance.
Demonstrated ability to manage community relationships and work collaboratively in a highly matrixed environment.
Able to manage multiple priorities that at times may conflict and able to communicate appropriately with all stakeholders in a timely manner.
Able to manage ambiguity while driving the necessary purpose and vision to ensure a high level of engagement.
Strong analytic and problem-solving skills, including an understanding of managing productivity and expenses, experience with health care business development, and an orientation towards systems thinking.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE