Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Ambulatory Nurse II
Job ID: 124891
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Apr 14, 2022
Work Schedule: Day
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Registered Nurse assists the practice manager and providers in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of highest quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial and operational targets. The RN accomplishes this by providing care for patients up to the scope of their license in a variety of methods: over the phone, in writing, and in person.
- Patient triage through phone, voicemail, walk-in, or electronic health record messages and inbaskets. Directly monitors messages for/from providers and addresses as directed. Speaks with provider when clinical questions/issues are outside their scope of expertise. Documents all interactions in patient’s record.
- Administers prescribed medications, gives injections and vaccinations; reads PPD results. Processes prescription refill requests.
- Performs various tests as per practice protocol and provider direction: properly prepares the patient, monitors patient response (based on type of test), and accurately documents the results.
- Orders labs, radiology studies, DME, and other items needed to support care of the patient.
- Performs transitional care management (TCM), ER and hospital discharge follow-up, as appropriate and required. Works closely with the physician and patient to manage high-risk and/or complex patients. Performs additional care management duties as needed.
- Obtains specimens for testing, reports abnormal values appropriately; performs all necessary controls; documents properly; prepares specimens for transport as necessary.
- Provides education to patients regarding diagnosis, test or lab results (normal and abnormal), chronic disease management, and medications.
- Assists with minor surgical procedures by handling instruments, maintaining sterile field, positioning of patient, wound cleaning and dressing, etc.
- Prepares patient paperwork: insurance and disability forms, referrals, precertifications, prior authorizations, school/work forms, etc.
- Assists in orienting new team members and serves as resource to LPNs and Medical Assistants
- May perform additional duties based on operational need: scheduling appointments, managing medication storage closets and crash carts, obtaining patient vital signs, managing equipment/instruments, and rooming patients.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
- RN license in good standing in the state of Pennsylvania or New Jersey, as appropriate
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Focus in Nursing 1+ years related outpatient experience strongly preferred
- Associate of Arts or Science (Required)
- Focus in Nursing 0-1 years related outpatient experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE