Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Assoc Director of Operations
Job ID: 126983
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Apr 14, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Associate Director of Ambulatory Operations supports the Chief Operating Officer by providing operational leadership to assigned ambulatory practices assuring that these practices maintain a patient focus, achieve fiscal viability by meeting or exceeding budget, and demonstrating operational excellence. Incumbent partners with COO to create a patient-focused organization designed to support the delivery of the highest quality care, attract and develop a team of highly capable, committed providers, managers, and staff who share a passion for patient-centered care. Incumbent contributes to shaping strategic, operating, and financial plans.
- Typical scope of the combined practices for this role is up to 20 providers, 50 staff, 10,000 annual patient visits, and $10M in annual operating revenue.
In addition to:
- Working in collaboration, the Associate Director will be instrumental in developing and implementing initiatives between multiple locations and CPUP leadership to improve patient access and overall operations of the clinics in multiple locations. The incumbent will also provide leadership in the areas of: Care coordination with relevant diagnostic and supportive services; integration with multiple locations; efficient access management processes in coordination with referral sources; sustained patient satisfaction and quality initiatives for the disease-based programs.
1. Marketing and Business Development
a. Assist and partner in understanding the market data from SDS to shape and define a strategy by partnering with senior leadership in Ortho and MSKR and ultimately responsible for on the ground implementation and follow through.
b. Provide input for efforts related to referral marketing and practice development with MSKR marketing team and physician liaison team.
c. Ownership for successful practice development for new to Penn faculty as well as continuing growth and analysis for existing partners.
2. Service Line Collaboration
a. Cross-service line accountability to include NSL/MSKR/Cancer and cross-department DOM/FMCH/Ortho/PM&R/Radiology/Plastics.
b. Specifically within MSKR accountability for operations and shared services for Pain, PM&R, Family Sports, Radiology, Rheumatology, and Ortho
c. Leveraging best practices and streamlined continuity of care for patients seen at any site under any umbrella as well as key integration of quality and operational goals.
- Internal and External Relationships:
- Develops and maintains strong internal relationships within the entity and across UPHS through open, timely, and direct communication. Spends deliberate time with staff and providers to understand needs and to build trust. Develops and maintains strong professional working relationships with external partners, including vendors, business affiliates, and other contracted services.
- Ensures patient/customer satisfaction through comprehensive and continuous measurement of satisfaction for all key customer groups. Identifies gaps in patient satisfaction, determines root causes, works with practice management to develop plans for improvement, and monitors progress.
- Strategic Planning Processes:
- Partners with COO and other Leadership team in developing a strategic plan and budget, implementation plans, and ongoing brand and market strategies for region (providing assistance to practice managers as needed). Participates in the development of strategic capital and other resource priorities and manages them for maximum benefit.
- Develops programs, services and initiatives to anticipate future customer needs, build customer loyalty and generate profitable growth; drives operational integration of programs by ensuring alignment of communication with Leadership.
- Patient Care Processes:
- Ensures all patient care related processes deliver high quality and efficient care to patients and their families; ensures that teams and individuals have the clinical, information and organizational tools to serve our patients and customers effectively and efficiently. Continuously communicates to physicians, practice managers and staff the importance of patient satisfaction, quality of care, and sound financial performance; and champions our successes and priorities for improving performance in meeting and exceeding patient and customer expectations.
- Quality Improvement, Regulatory Compliance, and Change Management:
- Assists practice and entity leadership to attain performance measurement and management system for key success elements: access, quality, service and value.
- Ensures all areas of accountability are compliant with all federal, state and local regulatory standards and requirements for practices under their leadership.
- Partners with practice leadership and proactively develops change management strategy for major organizational activities and events. Identifies and facilitates agreement of major messages which are consistent regardless of audience, credible and reflects core values.
- Financial Management:
- Partners with leadership team in developing performance targets, reporting variances and creating remediation plans. Provides practice revenue cycle management/oversight. Ensure practice/region aligned with all standards. Support implementation of managed care contracts and operational processes.
- Recruitment, Development, and Retention (Directly and as Support to Practice Managers):
- Participates in and champions the recruitment process for management, provider, and staff positions; identifying candidates that demonstrate professionalism and cultural fit. Directly supervises practice managers and other assigned employees. Develops staff by ensuring work expectations are clearly defined and communicated; addressing performance issues and skill deficits immediately and professionally – managing staff to results; and assigning work that uses staff skills/talents, provides responsibility and challenge, allows for creativity, and offers leadership opportunity.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree in Business and 7+ years relevant experience required, including at least 5+ years prior management experience, preferably in a healthcare setting.
- Master of Arts or Science
- Master's Degree may be considered in lieu of total required experience.
Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge and mastery of information systems to support operational, clinical and research activities.
Expert verbal, non-verbal, and written communication skills. Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to provide effective leadership and collaboration within a multidisciplinary setting of physician and administrative leaders.
Demonstrated ability to influence and manage personnel effectively and efficiently.
Demonstrated critical thinking, financial and resource management skills.
Knowledge of TJC, and OSHA requirements for ambulatory health care settings.
Clinical background a plus but not required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE