Job ID: 129038
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Apr 14, 2022
Work Schedule: Day shift
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Pennsylvania Hospital is looking for a per diem Medical Lab Scientist to join the Blood Bank.
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
• Performs testing of specimens and processing of blood products in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures
• Demonstrates a clear understanding of test results and takes appropriate action to resolve unexpected results
• Performs antibody identification and utilizes reference reagents and special techniques appropriately
• Accurately performs and documents suspected transfusion reaction investigations
• Documents results accurately using computer and manual methods
• Inspects patient samples for testing and insures compliance with Blood Bank labeling criteria
• Selects blood products for transfusion according to the Standard Operating Procedure to meet specific patient needs
• Issues blood and blood products in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures
• Communicates with patient’s care team and the Blood Bank Resident/Medical Director/Attending in critical situations, when a delay is anticipated due to product availability or special requests
• Modifies blood products according to Standard Operating Procedures
• Maintains appropriate blood and blood component inventory levels, orders products, inspects units for acceptability, performs confirmation testing when required, rotates units to ensure oldest are used first and discards expired products
• Performs equipment and reagent QC at required intervals, recognizes QC failures, and takes appropriate remedial action
• Maintains a clean, orderly and safe work area. Complies with Hospital and Laboratory safety requirements and completes mandatory safety training on or prior to due date
• Identifies the need to deviate from Standard Operating Procedures and Policies, obtains appropriate approval and documents the event
• Is knowledgeable and is able to execute the use of all special transfusion protocols
• Understands and follows the Quality System, including documenting and timely reporting of all failures to follow Standard Operating Procedures appropriately
• Participates in the training of new employees and MLS students
• Inspects critical supplies and maintains them according to Standard Operating Procedure and notifies supervisor when supplies need to be replenished
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Current MLS Certification by a minimum knowledge based exam such as the Board of Certification (ASCP) or equivalent. Master's Degree MLS or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement).
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.