Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Bld Bnk Med Lab Scientist II - $10,000 SIGN-ON BONUS @ HUP
Job ID: 127109
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Apr 20, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
$10,000 Sign-on and Retention Bonus! The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a Blood Bank Medical Lab Scientist II to join the team!
- Performs waived, moderate and/or high-complexity tests and procedures in clinical laboratory sections under the direction of the Supervisor.
- Performs appropriately requested clinical laboratory analyses on all types of laboratory specimens, produces and documents accurate laboratory results for diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Adheres to Penn Medicine's policies and procedures and conforms to all safety practices.
- Maintains specified laboratory documents required by various accreditation agencies.
- Maintains the confidentiality of health information on all patients.
- Performs testing of specimens and processing of blood products in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of test results and takes appropriate action to resolve unexpected results
- Performs antibody identification and utilizes reference reagents and special techniques appropriately
- Accurately performs and documents suspected transfusion reaction investigations
- Documents results accurately using computer and manual methods
- Inspects patient samples for testing and insures compliance with Blood Bank labeling criteria
- Selects blood products for transfusion according to the Standard Operating Procedure to meet specific patient needs
- Issues blood and blood products in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures
- Communicates with patient’s care team and the Blood Bank Resident/Medical Director/Attending in critical situations, when a delay is anticipated due to product availability or special requests
- Modifies blood products according to Standard Operating Procedures
- Maintains appropriate blood and blood component inventory levels, orders products, inspects units for acceptability, performs confirmation testing when required, rotates units to ensure oldest are used first and discards expired products
- Performs equipment and reagent QC at required intervals, recognizes QC failures, and takes appropriate remedial action
- Maintains a clean, orderly and safe work area. Complies with Hospital and Laboratory safety requirements and completes mandatory safety training on or prior to due date
- Identifies the need to deviate from Standard Operating Procedures and Policies, obtains appropriate approval and documents the event
- Is knowledgeable and is able to execute the use of all special transfusion protocols
- Understands and follows the Quality System, including documenting and timely reporting of all failures to follow Standard Operating Procedures appropriately
- Participates in the training of new employees and MLS students
- Inspects critical supplies and maintains them according to Standard Operating Procedure and notifies supervisor when supplies need to be replenished
- Current MLS Certification by a minimum knowledge based exam such as the Board of Certification (ASCP) or equivalent
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required) MLS or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement)
- MLS or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement)
- 0-1 years Experience with moderate, high complexity laboratory testing experience
- Master of Arts or Science (Preferred) MLS or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE