Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant – Gastroenterology Inpatient/ Outpatient at PAH
Job ID: 128996
Nurse Practitioner/ Physician Assistant
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Apr 26, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Clinical Practices of University of Pennsylvania Gastroenterology Department is seeking an advanced practitioner to join our health care delivery team at Pennsylvania Hospital. This is a hospital based position and the advanced practitioner will work in collaboration with the GI physicians to provide high quality care for acutely ill patients with various gastroenterology disorders/diseases. This includes patients with GI bleeds, symptomatic anemia, pancreatitis, cholecystitis, liver disease, GI malignancies and other diagnoses of the GI tract that require treatment. The practitioner will support the GI physicians with running the inpatient service, GI consults, procedure orders in EPIC, rounds on inpatients which includes evaluating the patient's readiness for any scheduled GI procedure, and the coordination with the GI procedure team of any patient who needs an inpatient video capsule placement. The ideal candidate should have critical care experience and prior experience in GI or a strong interest in GI.
- All Physician Assistants & Nurse Practitioners function under the guidelines as designed by the Penn Medicine medical staff and are credentialed through that body. The Physician Assistant & Nurse Practitioner will be held accountable through a formal job description, delineation of privileges, and through a Written Practice Agreement with their supervising physician. All clinical work hours and associated requirements will be defined and managed under the direction of the supervising physician and within the Human Resource guidelines. Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence based practice standards in collaboration with team.
- The Physician Assistant/ Nurse Practitioner will contribute to excellence in education, leadership, professionalism, and clinical practice.
- Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence based practice standards in collaboration with team.
- Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatment, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in electronic medical records.
- Identifies self properly to the patient and family and clarifies the role of Physician Assistant if necessary.
- The Physician Assistant shall function within their scope and refer to the supervising physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the supervising physician, or when requested by the patient.
- Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and written agreement.
- Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet quality of care and service standards.
- Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as role model to peers and members of the health care team.
- Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status.
- Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
- Provide patient education, counseling, and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventive care.
- Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization.
- Participated in preceptorship of PA/NP students and other healthcare learners.
- Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers appropriately.
- National Commission for Certification of Physician Assistant (Required)
- Physician Assistant (Required)
- PA RN licensure (Required)
- PA CRNP licensure (Required)
- PA Prescriptive Authority (Required)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support for providers in the acute setting
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Arts or Science (Required)
- Master’s degree required except for current employees grandfathered prior to implementation of PAaCE.
>2.5 years experience.
The Physician Assistant must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the medical board.
- Graduate of Accredited Physician Assistant Training Program
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE