Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director of Finance & Data Analytics, Penn Signature Services
Job ID: 125674
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Apr 26, 2022
Work Schedule: 8:00am - 4:30pm, M-F | Hybrid
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Reporting to the Director of Operations and Program Development, Penn Signature Services, and in partnership with the patient accounting and finance management teams, the Director of Finance will perform a range of functions including management of all financial aspect of the PSS department including existing and new business. He/she will work closely with various departments, Chairman, faculty, administration, to ensure process optimization throughout all levels to increase efficiency and accuracy. Develop data analytics area to compile all data in PSS programs, integrate into Penn medicine IT and Marketing systems, in collaboration with decision support, finance, IT, marketing and other areas as needed. This role partners significantly with VPs in AP Corporate Finance, VP of Managed Care, entity CFOs and other senior financial leaders across the enterprise.
- This role is responsible for overseeing finance operations for all programs that are outlined below. The financial oversight comprises 5 programs with highly matrixed levels of complexity and continued year over year growth. The Director of Finance and Data Analytics is responsible for payor relationships and managements, rate negotiations and international financial agreements. Core functions of this role include management of complex electronic financial and analytical processes across multiple systems including custom billing, domestic and international payor specific charge, billing and AR processes and ultimate security of financial health of the programs. The five programs represent revenues of ~$30M per year and 4,000 unique patients:
- Global Medicine—This program serves patients coming to Penn Medicine from outside of the United States and facilitates collaborations with global organizations that leverage Penn Medicine's research enterprise, innovations, and opportunities for commercialization in collaboration with the Center for Global Health. As part of Penn Medicine's expanding global strategy, there is a Penn Medicine London initiative under the leadership of the Dean to expand collaborative opportunities and support philanthropic investment in innovative ways. This initiative is supported as a collaboration between Global Medicine and Development and Alumni Relations. For global patients, Global Medicine supports all aspects of the patient engagement and care process, including financial management processes with self-paying patients, foreign government payors, and global insurers in collaboration with Corporate Finance.
- Patient Facilitated Services (PFS)—This program provides facilitated care coordination and inpatient concierge services to the University's most significant philanthropic contributors (~2,500 people) at Penn Medicine with a dedicated team and on-site resources based at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP)
- Passport—This membership program provides dedicated primary care services at three locations and 24/7 access to facilitation, global resources when traveling, and specialized amenities at Penn Medicine. There are currently ~450 members with plans to expand in coordination with the concierge primary care programs at Penn Medicine.
- Executive Health—This program provides comprehensive one day physicals with specialized amenities and wellness services to individual patients and through corporate relationships at two downtown locations. The program provides 300+ physicals per year, and there are plans to significantly expand with dedicated physician leadership, an operational support team, and sales.
- Virtual Second Opinion—This is a new enterprise program that is in the planning process in coordination with the CMIO and Specialty Practices leadership. The plan is that this program would be administered by Signature Services to support global and US based patients seeking access to remote expertise for care.
- Given the breadth and complexity of the services, this role requires expert knowledge across inpatient and ambulatory financial services and professional experience to collaborate with Managed Care on rate negotiations and managing estimates for care. The patients that are part of Signature Services cover complex care for destination patients funded by individuals, foreign governments, and other payers in addition to practice management processes for Passport and Executive Health as well as cash payment processes for the HUP amenity unit and Passport membership program. In addition, the London initiative requires financial management of other entities in London and at the University. In all areas, the role works in collaboration with executive and senior leadership from other departments across the Health System and University and is expected to be adept at managing the complex relationships and support processes.
- This role will manage all data analysis and reporting for Signature Services that includes budget responsibility, monthly dashboards, synthesis of comprehensive service, clinical and financial data across Salesforce, Epic, and other systems. In addition, this role is responsible for the development of proforma financial models and developing business plans in collaboration with the Director of Operations, COO, and other leaders.
- This role will lead financial projects, supervise financial coordinators, interns and other staff, as directed, to improve the organization's understanding of its customers across all programs in Signature Services and provide reporting and analytical solutions to the programs, including effectiveness of marketing/business development efforts.
Responsible and accountable for having financial statements and statistical results accurately and consistently reported and prepared on an accrual basis in conformity with general accounting principles and in accordance with Penn Medicines’ policies and procedures. In addition, the individual must have a working knowledge of University/SOM/Hospital/VA side of financial operations.
Accountable to maintain a system of internal/business controls which are designed to provide reasonable assurance to Penn Medicine Management and Trustees that the information for the department is accurate, timely and reliable.
- Manage revenue cycle services for membership and program billing to ensure the best financial position for the department. Includes oversight of registration, charge, billing, A/R and collections functions.
- Accountable for the development and management of the departmental budget in conjunction with the leadership team.
- Oversight of the monthly financial close process including revenue and expense reconciliations, identifying accruals and reclasses, preparing journal entries for corporate accounting
- Monthly review and analysis of actual versus budget variances to ensure expenses are in line with strategic mission
- Preparing monthly and quarterly projections as requested by corporate finance in accordance with health system financial planning
- Communicating with leadership team on expense/revenue variances to develop plan to meet and exceed budget targets
- Monthly review of all financial statements including accounts receivable reports, profit and loss statement, and balance sheet accounts.
- Lead all data analytics and financial reporting functions for Signature Services
- Oversee the monthly financial reporting and variance processes for the department. This includes: review of department, divisional, and program level income statement and department balance sheet financial statements. Prepare, review, and analyze the department’s financial statements including; Patient A/R, Gross & Net Patient Revenue, Other Operating Revenue, Inter-Entity support and Expenses. Initiate and create remediation plans to improve finances, as needed.
- Develop financial reports for all programs capturing patient encounter data involving data mining of large, complex data sets, developing cross-walks between different data sources including salesforce, Hyperion performance management, Lawson, EPIC, etc.
- Analyze reports to identify trends and provide meaningful conclusions to program leads
- Provide ad-hoc financial and data analysis as requested by the leadership team including presentation ready reports and power-point slides
- Work with entity financial leadership and communicate financial impacts, strategic improvements, and work process design and improvement
- Effectively communicate results of all financial and data reports to leadership team, staff, and others as needed to ensure they understand results along with working with team to use our reports to identify and implement process improvements as needed.
- Lead all finance functions of the Signature Services programs including oversight and process improvements as follows:
- Penn Global Medicine: Developing individualized self-pay cost estimates, verifying and vetting international insurance for patients/services, ensuring all international patients receiving services at Penn Medicine are cleared financially, working in collaboration with the clinical and care teams to ensure outstanding customer service and patient experience, management of the PGM Accounts Receivable and ensuring bills are sent timely and accurately, building relationships with foreign government financial representatives and ensuring their billing requirements are met.
- Penn Passport: Managing membership dues to ensure renewals are completed timely and new members are paid before services begin, tracking services used and ensuring internal and external partners are paid timely, financial planning and modeling for growth and development
- Executive Health: Work in collaboration with sales team and legal counsel to ensure corporate contracts are executed timely and accurately, ensuring patients are billed timely and accurately, managing the EH Accounts Receivable and communication with corporate financial representatives regarding outstanding bills, ensuring internal and external partners are paid timely, financial planning and modeling for growth and development
- Ensure proper use and integration of Salesforce and finance functions including audit of current processes and communicating process improvements.
- Financial modeling of existing and new products including break-even analysis, return-on-investment, business plans, etc. Prepare business plans for new business ventures, including financial accountability, resource management, evaluation of implementation requirements, costs and return on investments.
- Analyze physician capacity vs current and expected volume to plan accordingly
- Develop staffing/FTE analysis to ensure proper resources are available for planned growth
- Collaborate with sales and leaderships teams to develop customized pricing for corporate contracts
- Evaluate reimbursements rates and volume data to customize pricing for foreign government partners
- Responsible for the recruitment, training, development, and management of the finance and data team of Signature Services (5 FTEs).
- Accountable to have complete understanding of staff job functions for the various programs and responsibility to monitor work product, provide feedback, and improve work processes as needed.
- Clearly define work expectations, addresses performance issues immediately and directly with the goal of maintaining positive employee relations.
- Encourage continued growth and ensure staff realizes full potential by identifying individual goals and creating individualized work plans for growth and development.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, Business Analytics or related field (Required)
- Master's Degree in Business or Healthcare Administration (Preferred)
- 5+ years experience in a related position, including at least 2 years of Supervisory experience.
- 2+ years experience in healthcare (Preferred)
- CPA license (Preferred)
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point
- A superior knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Proficiency with SQL and/or other relational database packages
- Familiarity with SPSS, SAS or other statistical software
- Demonstrated experience with data analytic and statistical methods
- Ability to discuss data in a clear and concise manner to a broad and varied audience X Ability to take complex information and present it in a clear and concise format
- Strong critical thinking, analytic and problem-solving skills
- Must be very well organized
- Must have the ability to work independently and effectively
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE