Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA): MedSurg/Ortho Unit at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
Job ID: 132051
CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Philadelphia, PA, United States
May 10, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Work Schedule: Days (Full Time) 36/hrs
- The certified nursing assistant is an integral member of the health care team who delivers quality care through collaboration and communication with team members. They work under the direct supervision of the registered nurse to support and assist the nurse in the delivery of quality care to patients and families. Some of the major responsibilities will include collection and reporting of patient data, incorporating organizational competencies of superior quality care and assuming responsibility and accountability for their role performance outcomes while supporting PPMC's Standards of Excellence. Demonstrates the Penn Medicine Behavioral Competencies in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues.
CUPP 5 East at PPMC specializes in providing the following patient care:
• Post-operative acute care
• Any post-operative General surgery or Orthopedic patient care requiring pain management with continuous epidural, intrascalene blocks, femoral blocks, and adductor blocks
• Total Joint Replacement and all Orthopedic Spinal Surgery
• Medical if medical beds unavailable
- Receives written/verbal report at the beginning of each shift from the registered nurse (RN) regarding the care that is to be delivered to the assigned group of patients, or for patient needing constant observation.
- Gives report when leaving unit, and at the completion of the shift regarding the care that was delivered; any abnormalities that occur during the shift are to be reported as they occur to the RN as well as to the oncoming CAN or PCA.
- Assists in Assessment
- Identifies the patient per hospital policy before carrying out functions.
- Assists with data collection for nursing history and physical e.g., vital signs, ht. wt, blood sugar results, functional status and communicates changes to the RN in a timely fashion.
- Participates in respectful communication with patients, families and co workers.
- Provides patient and family information to the registered nurse for coordination of care and discharge planning.
- Observes skin changes and reports discoloration, abrasions, infestations or skin breakdown.
- Assists in setting mutually agreed upon realistic individual patient goals.
- Integrates the RN’s directions re: the patient’s plan of care into the care given to the patient.
- Gives RN report before the end of the shift regarding the patient’s response to the plan of care issues, and at various times during the shift to report unusual findings e.g., abnormal blood sugar results, vital sign changes, pain etc.
- Promotes infection control by using the appropriate hand washing techniques.
- Follows standard precautions and any other isolation precautions as dictated by the patient’s condition.
- Maintains a safe environment and protects the patient from injury by observing the patient who may be at risk for falls, confusion, disorientation, wandering or suicidal behaviors; follows Constant Observation Policy.
- Applies and monitors patients in restraints per policy and per medical order.
- Observes or monitors behavior/health state and responses to therapy.
- Temperature, Pulse, Respiration.
- Blood Pressure.
- Height and Weight.
- Intake and Output.
- Bowel and Bladder Function Checks.
- Communicates pertinent observations to appropriate members of the health care team in a timely fashion.
- Participates in multidisciplinary rounds on the patient care unit.
- Performs patient care rounds per unit policy.
- Participates in staff and unit council meetings.
- Works in collaboration with all members of the healthcare team.
- Reports findings to nurse concerning the patient and or family which may impact patient care.
- Performs or assists the patient with activities of daily living such as bathing, (bed, tub, shower, or sitz) grooming, eating, feeding, range of motion, ambulating, transferring and oral hygiene.
- Participates in the prevention and of skin breakdown. Maintain turning and offloading.
- Applies current accepted methods of heat and cold therapy as directed by the nurse.
- Provides for the patient’s oral dietary needs using currently accepted methods. (special swallowing precautions).
- Provides for the elimination needs by giving a bed pan,urinal, emptying urinary and or bowel appliances or implementing the bowel program under the direction of the RN.
- Assists with colostomy irrigations.
- Assists with vaginal irrigations.
- Applies urosheath/condom catheter.
- Administers cleansing enemas as ordered.
- Performs post mortem care.
- Assists the physician to perform physical exams.
- Assists with oxygen therapy only and does not regulate the flow of oxygen.
- Encourage the use of the pulmonary toilet by using the incentive spirometer, coughing, turning and deep breathing.
- Utilizes the appropriate equipment for patient lifting.
- Reinforces health care instruction to patients according to the directions of the RN.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- CPR certification from American Heart Association (AHA) is required.
- Certified Nurse Aid (Required)
- Must be a certified by the state of Pennsylvania as a certified nursing assistant or student nursing assistant- in
lieu of certification, matriculated in an accredited ASN nursing program having minimally completed the nursing
foundations/fundamentals clinical course with a 3.0 GPA overall and in the nursing major.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED Required.
- Other (Required)
- Graduate of a certified nursing assistant program or in lieu of certification, must be a nursing student matriculated in an accredited ASN nursing program having minimally completed the
nursing foundations/fundamentals clinical course with a 3.0 GPA overall and in the nursing major and continue to maintain a 3.0 GPA in all nursing major subjects. In order for nursing students to maintain their position as a
CNA, they must continue in a matriculated ASN program. Nursing Students are required to maintain active enrollment and completed all related course and grade requirements. Nursing students employed as CNAs, must immediately (within 24 hours) and in writing report to their supervisor if they have not sustained the academic GPA requirement or discontinued/withdrawn from their matriculated ASN program. Failure to meet and maintain nursing student requirements in lieu of certification will result in termination of the nursing assistant position.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE