Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Medical Assistant (MA) assists the practice manager and physicians in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets. The MA provides patient care through performance of patient preparation, interviewing, technical tasks, and patient/family communication.
Patient Care Accountabilities:
- Promptly rooms patients, using EMR to alert provider that patient is ready: reviews past medical, surgical, family, smoking history, allergies, medications; notes corrections in EMR, notes medication refills needed for the physician to review, initiates self-management goal setting where appropriate, obtains patient’s vital signs and documents in EMR, prepares chart for patient visit, understands insurance restrictions for lab work, referral needs, precertification requirements, etc.
- Observes patient condition and communicates any abnormal data or changes to provider.
- Assists patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, undressing, preparing for the exam, remains in exam room when necessary/requested.
- Specimen management: obtain specimens for testing if applicable (including performing phlebotomy and anterior nares nasal swab collections), performs laboratory and screening tests, records results in EMR and reconciles with logs where appropriate, documents and reports findings to providers, performs all quality controls as per Point of Care Testing guidelines, prepares specimens for transport as necessary.
- Performs EKGs and other outpatient screening tests as per MD order and after properly preparing the patient; accurately documents results in EMR.
- Assists with minor surgical procedures by handing instruments, maintaining sterile field, positioning of patient and other duties within scope of responsibility. Functions as a witness for procedural consents if required.
- Responds appropriately to emergency/code situations.
Clerical / Other Accountabilities:
- Responsive and proactive telephonic patient care - including care coordination with specialists, ancillary services, hospitals, labs, home care agencies, and all other involved health services.
- Obtain and scan documents as appropriate and required for visit: test results, faxes, reports, notes, referrals, etc.
- Completes medical forms and other clinical requests for information as appropriate and required. Prepares and sends patient correspondence as required. Assists nursing staff with the maintenance of patient education materials, as needed.
Other / Regulatory:
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, etc)
- Flexible and readily adopts new processes and engages in practice operation changes.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- CMA or RMA (Required)
- MA Certification (required within 90 days of hire)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 1+ years of related experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.