Job ID: 132668
Philadelphia, PA, United States
May 18, 2022
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
· Follows established SOP and age-specific techniques for the collection of biological specimens for analysis, and evaluates and solves problems related to that process.
· Performs accurate venipuncture and micro (capillary) techniques in sample collection.
· Observes emotional and physical state of patient for any adverse reactions to phlebotomy.
· Performs assigned patient-sample processing activities.
· Follows established SOP for the processing of biological specimens for analysis, and evaluates and solves problems related to that process.
· Operates the pneumatic tube system properly and observes all Infection Control policies while handling specimens
· Provides timely distribution of specimens to appropriate laboratory sections.
· Maintains accurate and orderly log records and/or worksheets where required according to SOP’s.
· Maintains a safe and orderly work area: demonstrates safe work practices.
· Keeps work area free from personal documents & items.
· Answers phone in a professional and courteous manner, speaking to caller in a caring manner. Answers questions or refers callers to the appropriate source. Avoids putting caller on hold or transferring call unnecessarily.
· Maintains the confidentiality of health information on all patients
· Researches phone inquiries regarding specimen collection or test results by referencing available manuals and records, and calls caller back promptly.
· Understands collection requirements for special or referral testing, prepares specimens, ensure integrity and correctness of sample and arranges for dispatch and pick-up of specimens.
· Keeps current with laboratory minutes and documented changes.
· Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies, and notifies Supervisor of the need to re-order before supplies run out.
· Assist with the instruction of procedures and techniques to other employees and students.
· Performs daily temperature checks on rooms, refrigerators, freezers, incubators and preventive maintenance on centrifuges as needed.
· Projects an image of professionalism in appearance and conduct at all times. Works well with peers and those in authority; works to promote PEOPLE standards. Promotes patient and staff relations and displays pride in work.
· Complies with Hospital, Laboratory, Safety and HIPPA regulations; notifies Supervisor or Safety Officer of hazards when found, completes annual mandatories on, or before the due date.
· Performs other duties as assigned: willingness to adapt to changing department demands.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
High School Diploma or GED required
Certification by the American Society for Clinical Pathology or equivalent in phlebotomy is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.