Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Medical Assistant Certified - Float
Job ID: 134962
Plainsboro, NJ, United States
May 19, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) assists the practice lead and providers in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets. The CMA provides patient care through performance of patient preparation, interviewing, technical tasks, and patient/family communication.
- Promptly rooms patients, using EMR to alert provider that patient is ready: reviews past medical, surgical, family, smoking history, allergies, medications; notes corrections in EMR, notes medication refills needed for the physician to review, initiates self-management goal setting where appropriate, obtains patient’s vital signs and documents in EMR, prepares chart for patient visit, understands insurance restrictions for lab work, referral needs, precertification requirements, etc.
- Observes patient condition and communicates any abnormal data or changes to provider.
- Assists patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, undressing, preparing for the exam, remains in exam room when necessary/requested.
- Performs EKGs and other outpatient screening tests as per provider order and after properly preparing the patient; accurately documents results in EMR.
- Responds appropriately to emergency/code situations.
- Administers prescribed medications, gives injections and vaccines; reads PPD results, under the direction of the provider/orders and documents in EMR.
- Specimen management: obtain specimens for testing if applicable, performs laboratory and screening tests, records results in EMR and reconciles with logs where appropriate, documents and reports findings to providers, performs all quality controls as per Point of Care Testing guidelines, prepares specimens for transport as necessary.
- Assists with minor surgical procedures by handing instruments, maintaining sterile field, positioning of patient and other duties within scope of responsibility. Functions as a witness for procedural consents if required.
- Demonstrates competence in the observation, treatment, and care of the specific patients served in that practice, whose ages may range from neonate to geriatric.
- Responsive and proactive telephonic patient care - including care coordination with specialists, ancillary services, hospitals, labs, home care agencies, and all other involved health services.
- Obtain and scan documents as appropriate and required for visit: test results, faxes, reports, notes, referrals, etc.
- Completes medical forms and other clinical requests for information as appropriate and required. Prepares and sends patient correspondence as required. Assists nursing staff with the maintenance of patient education materials, as needed.
- Promptly performs call-backs as directed by provider, giving patients information within their scope of practice. Provides patients with follow up care instructions.
- Adheres to universal body fluids precautions and infection control policies. Disposes of infectious waste properly.
- Promotes infection control by using appropriate hand washing techniques.
- Ensures that the patient care areas are kept neat, orderly, well stocked and properly prepared.
- Cleans, disinfects, and sterilizes instruments and equipment according to protocols and checks that the instruments and equipment are in proper working order. Notifies Supervisor of malfunctions. Sets up equipment and instruments as per practice protocol.
- Maintain temperature log for refrigerator or room temperature as needed.
- Maintains a safe environment and protects the patient from injury by observing the patient who may be at risk for falls, confusion, disorientation, or wandering behaviors.
- Maintains medication storage closet inventory and security; checks expiration dates; removes outdated items. Performs daily code/crash cart checks as assigned.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, etc)
- Flexible and readily adopts new processes and engages in practice operation changes.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization. May be asked to assist at other practices as identified by practice leadership and/or Director
- Certified Medical Assistant (Required)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- CPR – required prior to start date
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
A minimum of 2-3 year’s experience in a healthcare setting in a similar position is preferable. Doctors office experience preferred, and electronic medical records.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE