Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Technician III, Pre Procedural Platform
Job ID: 135392
West Chester, PA, United States
May 23, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Tech III, Pre Procedural Platform
- General Summary Statement Provides patient care under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Performs receptionist, clerical, and clinical support responsibilities. Assists nursing and physician personnel by performing a variety of technical and specialized patient care procedures under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse. Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives. Essential Duties and Responsibilities Patient Care Responsibilities
- 1. Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served. For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
- 2. Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
- 3. Assists with patient care by preparing patients for exam and treatment: brings patient into appropriate care area as directed, assists with undressing patient per protocol or exposing area for exam as protocols dictate.
- 4. Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
- 5. Uses standard precautions and uses personal protective equipment.
- 6. Interacts with the patient in a manner that preserves patient dignity, privacy, and meets psychosocial needs of the patient.
- 7. Performs 12 Lead EKG per policies and clinical protocols.
- 8. Performs peripheral venous access for phlebotomies. Performs advanced skills according to clinical protocols or under the supervision of an RN, Physician, or Physician Assistant.
- 9. Applies chest leads for patients on cardiac monitoring, and performs basic troubleshooting, such as replacing loose or missing electrodes.
- 10. Stocks patient rooms with supplies and removes outdated items. Maintains supplies, transport monitors, and other equipment for transport. Maintains wheelchairs in arrival area. Makes sure IV pumps are available for the needs of the department.
- 11. Performs phlebotomies per clinical orders. Collects and labels blood tubes, blood cultures, and other specimens according to clinical practice requirements. Collects and labels urine, stool, sputum specimens as directed.
- 12. Sets up equipment and procedure trays as necessary to assist physicians in preparation for department procedures (e.g. Thoracentesis, lumbar puncture).
- 13. Adheres to the Universal Protocol for Patient Identification and Site Identification.
- 14. Able to perform crutch, cane and walker education for patients. Applies wound dressings and ice packs per clinical practice.
- 15. Provides patients assistance with hygiene. Changes incontinent patients promptly and provides appropriate skin care.
- 16. Empties bedpans, urinals, commodes, and assists patient to the bathroom.
- 17. Assists patients with meals, feeds patients as needed.
- 18. Distributes nourishments as scheduled.
- 19. Measures and records intake and output.
- 20. Performs bladder scan according to policy and procedure under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- 21. Performs urine pregnancy POC testing according to Policy and Procedure.
- 22. Positions patients correctly, aligns and supports torso and limbs as directed and per patient comfort.
- 23. Uses proper body mechanics when transferring patient during ambulation and bed – chair transfers.
- 24. Transports patients via wheelchair or stretcher using safety measures appropriate for patient and vehicle. Transfer patient to receiving units, prepare the patient for transfer.
- 25. Transports patient to radiology for diagnostic studies, specialty tests, and other tests ordered.
- 26. Transports patient to pick-up and their cars for discharge. Assist patients into their vehicles for pick-up by families.
- 27. Makes hourly rounds for patient safety and customer service. Notifies the assigned Nurse of any changes or patient requests. 28. Responds to patient call lights in a timely manner.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Certified Nurse Aid
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) preferred.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED and 0-1 years Training and/or experience at an acute care facility or student nurse with hospital based clinical experience required.
- Other (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE