Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Med Tech I - Plainsboro, NJ - Evening Shift (Full-Time)
Job ID: 135732
Plainsboro, NJ, United States
May 23, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- To perform complex study procedures within the clinical section assigned. Must be capable of competing assigned tasks using complicated automated instrumentation and techniques. Work independently with attention to detail to interpret complex test results and resolve instrument and/or serologic problems. Performs all duties in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements. Must also perform special responsibilities as assigned by the Section Supervisor involving the QC/PM Programs.
- Performs and interprets basic and advanced technical procedures on blood samples and completes required quality control
- Maintains equipment, reagents and other supplies to assure the quality and accuracy of test procedures. Perform preventive maintenance and performance checks on departmental equipment
- Knows and helps oversee compliance with applicable federal and state laws
- Assumes complete responsibility for the accuracy of study results.
- Recognizes testing irregularities, identifies the cause, determines the solution and resolves the problems or refers it to the appropriate levels. Interface with staff to provide assistance in the resolution of problems
- Adheres to explicit standard operating procedures.
- Work independently with attention to detail to interpret complex test results and resolve instrument and/or serologic problems
- Maintains, edits and review computer and manual records to ensure accurate record keeping
- Provides instruction and training to other staff members, including new staff members and students
- Assist the supervisor in the implementation of new procedures and in decision regarding new equipment and procedures
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the criteria for donor selection and perform donor processing in compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Participates in the QA program, including proficiency testing
- Proficient knowledge of LIS
- Complies with safety policies and procedures in the work area and uses applicable protective equipment
- May assist the section supervisor in the evaluation and implementation of new procedures and new instrumentation.
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment in the section. This includes the ability to accept delegated authority for making decisions regarding quality control programs and preventative maintenance.
- Should be capable of communicating effectively with interdisciplinary hospital staff including medical and nursing personnel. Includes reporting results, replying to technical questions, and logistical matters under the direction of the Section Supervisor.
- May be required to work unscheduled or varying shifts dependent upon workload or staffing requirements at the request of the Section Head or Laboratory Manager.
- Perform other similar and related duties as requested
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (Required)
- MLT or C-MLS (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical, biological or laboratory science/medical technology science required
Recent experience in a laboratory setting
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE