Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Bone Marrow Processing Specialist - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP)
Job ID: 136163
Philadelphia, PA, United States
May 25, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a Bone Marrow Processing Specialist to join the team!
- The Bone Marrow Processing Specialist will process cellular therapy products intended for transplantation, therapeutic and research use within the Stem Cell Laboratory. This role will employ a variety of cell processing methods and lab equipment to provide a safe and an effective product to the patient.
- Processes autologous stem cells and bone marrow for frozen storage.
- Processes allogeneic stem cells, bone marrow and MNC products for infusion.
- Processes immune effector cell and research products according to sponsor provided SOP’s.
- Coordinates and assists in stem cell reinfusions.
- Performs and documents quality control assays on cellular therapy products including cell counts, sterility testing, flow cytometry testing and cell viability.
- Calculates patient cell doses accurately based on cell counts and flow cytometry results.
- Establishes, performs and documents quality control procedures on equipment used in cellular therapy processing and testing.
- Researches, prepares and documents all procedures for cellular therapy procedures
- Prepares and maintains patient’s records both manual and computer.
- Maintains blood bank transfusion records documenting special blood requirements for BMT patients.
- Prepares, submits and documents infectious disease testing for donors including donor eligibility documentation.
- Evaluates and implements new methodologies for cellular therapy processing, quality control of procedures and equipment.
- Trouble shoots equipment problems and organizes and plans for needed repairs.
- Detects and documents deviations or events relating to quality of services and products provided.
- MLS Certification by a minimum knowledge based exam such as the Board of Certification (ASCP), equivalent or eligible to take such an exam (preferred)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required) in MLS or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement)
- Knowledge of various laboratory methods and techniques, quality assurance, in addition to PC and LIS knowledge
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE