Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Anatomic Pathology Coordinator - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP)
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 133879
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 26, 2022
Work Schedule: Day Shift Hours
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for an Anatomic Pathology Coordinator to join the team.
- Answers Telephone, Registers patients in Penn Chart and accessions sample, slides, and digital consultations in the lab information system. Places orders for tests, distributes cases, performs aliquoating of samples, performs scanning of pathology requisitions, batch lists and reference lab reports. Performs QA functions as directed. Dispatches FNA teams and coordinates pick-up and delivery of materials. Manages inventory. Supports consensus conferences, tumor boards and private consultations of the faculties. Supports clinical trials and biomarker studies and interacts with patients and other pathology departments to provide and retrieve material or for primary or second opinion consultations.
- Answers telephones, promptly and courteously; takes requests for blood products received and accurately records the same, provides accurate patient information regarding test results and blood product availability. Correctly prioritizes requests for blood products received and keeps technical staff informed accordingly. Correctly assess acceptability of specimens and requisitions received for testing; notifies the appropriate party when samples are found to be unacceptable for testing and documents action according to Blood Bank procedure.
- Leads the operations of the assigned section under the direction of the supervisor/manager. Ensure assigned tasks are distributed equally and patient care related functions are completed promptly and accurately. Provide guidance to the team members on how to handle issues and resolves problems.
- Professionally interacts with internal and external clients and resolve concerns and expedite patient care related tasks. Helps the supervisor/manager investigate issues related to missing, mislabeled specimens or incorrectly ordered or handled cases. Provides guidance to clients on how to properly submit requests and samples.
- Under the supervision of the supervisor/manager oversee the support and dispatching of the FNA teams at HUP and Perelman Center. Ensure the administrative tasks related to fine needle aspiration and the transcription of the report is done promptly and accurately,
- Under the direction of the supervisor/manager ensures activities related to QA function and CPDI are assigned and completed promptly. Ensure block and slide receipt and sent are electronically documented and material are promptly returned to the outside clients. Ensures the divisional archival material are kept organized and are maintained up-to-date.
- Under the direction of the supervisor, ensures that all requests related to the clinical trial and biomarker research requests are promptly handled and documented
- Coordinates pick-up and delivery of samples from peri op areas and other ambulatory and drop-off areas for testing.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 5 years of experience as a Medical Clerk or Senior Secretary in Pathology
In lieu of certification, appropriate work and/or education experience to fulfill job requirement
- Associate of Arts or Biological Sciences (Preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE