Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Anesthesia Technician - Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 135062
Philadelphia, PA, United States
May 26, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Ordering and stocking of supplies used to provide anesthesia. Set up, clean up and maintenance of equipment used in the provision of anesthesia. Preparation of the operating room suites for the delivery of anesthesia. Delivery of patient care under the direct supervision of the CRNA and or physician.
- Uses 2 separate patient identifiers when identifying patients and when handling patient samples, and patient laboratory results.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the requirements of quality assurance related to anesthesia equipment and instrumentation.
- Checks anesthesia machine prior to induction following FDA preuse guidelines.
- Demonstrates the ability to set-up and calibrate all anesthesia equipment and instrumentation.
- Demonstrates proper maintenance of equipment.
- Is able to troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Stocks anesthesia cart with supplies according to pre-determined par levels.
- Is able to verbalize an understanding of procedures and has appropriate equipment available and set up, i.e.
- Invasive lines (A lines, CVPs)
- Temperature monitor
- Pressure transducers
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Precordial stethoscope
- Pulse oximeter
- PEEP, CPAP
- Fiber optic intubation scopes
- Difficult airway cart
- Blood warmers
- Bair huggers
- Blood pressure monitors
- Infusion pumps
- Laser tubes
- Ventilation systems (Ambu bags)
- Transport monitors and O2 tanks
- FiO2 sensor
- SaO2 monitor
- Neuromuscular blockade monitor and cable
- Scavenger system
- Sets up IV and pressure lines for indwelling catheters:
- Central venous
- Left atrial
- Pulmonary artery
- Intracranial pressure (ICP)
- Assists in opening supplies in preparation for procedures.
- Assists with the application of monitoring devices.
- Provides patient support during the administration of anesthesia.
- Assists with the positioning and transfer of patients and equipment.
- Rounds frequently in rooms to offer assistance.
- Checks for the depletion of sodalime in the CO2 absorbers after each use and replace sodalime absorbers when necessary.
- Sets up and replaces breathing circuit and performs breathing circuit leak test.
- Collects laryngoscope blades and LMAs. Decontaminates and sterilizes them using the Steris 1 System.
- Cleans, decontaminates, sterilizes and performs high-level disinfecting of all reusable items such as fiber optic intubation scopes.
- Differentiates between the need for high-level disinfecting and sterilizing of equipment.
- Utilizes universal protocols.
- Follows principles of aseptic and sterile technique (traffic control).
- Disposes of contaminated materials in accordance with infection control policy.
- Demonstrates principles of fire safety and electrical safety.
- Maintains quality control records for point of care testing, such as ISTAT and blood glucose monitoring.
- Orders supplies and restocks anesthesia supply rooms and anesthesia carts daily.
- Utilizes proper body mechanics while turning and transferring patients, and in movement of equipment.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge and principles of positioning.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability.
- Professional behavior and appearance.
- Follows the Standards of Service Excellence.
- Performs all functions with an awareness of safety.
- Carries out assignments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates self-directed learning and interest in occupational growth.
- Seeks guidance in areas of question.
- Reports to assigned area of duty in a timely manner.
- Assists other area personnel as needed.
- Uses effective interpersonal skills in all interactions.
- Performs duties and exhibits behaviors consistent with the care philosophy of Pennsylvania Hospital.
- Cert Anesthesia Tchn preferred.
- CPR/Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Successful completion of anesthesia course and 1+ years previous hospital experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE