Job ID: 136135
Nurse Practitioner/ Physician Assistant
Philadelphia, PA, United States
May 27, 2022
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within the Penn Transplant Institute Liver Program as an Outpatient Advanced Practice Provider (APP) caring for our post-transplant patient population. The liver program at Penn is one of the most comprehensive, high volume centers in the country for patients with end-stage liver disease and has performed over 2, 500 liver transplants.
The liver transplant advanced practice provider (APP) provides provides collaborative management of patient care throughout the post-transplant and longitudinal phases of care. The transplant APP serves as an integral member of the transplant team in meeting the needs of the transplant patient and ensuring continuity of care throughout the transplant process. This is an excellent opportunity for an APP to provide longitudinal care to a complex population and be a well-respected member of the team.
All APPs function under the guidelines as designed by the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center medical staff guidelines and are credentialed through that body. The APP will be held accountable through a formal job description, delineation of privileges, and through their agreement with their collaborating physician and a Collaborative Practice Agreement. All clinical work hours and associated requirements will be defined and managed under the direction of the collaborating physician/division designee, and within the Human Resource guidelines.
The Advanced Practice Practitioner contributes to excellence in education, leadership, professional contribution and practice.
· Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence based practice standards in collaboration with team.
· Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in the electronic health record (EHR).
· Identifies self properly to the patient and family, and clarifies the role of the advanced practice provider if necessary.
· The APP should function within their scope and refer to the collaborating physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the collaborating physician or when requested by the patient and/or family.
· Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and collaborative agreement.
· Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet quality of care and service standards.
· Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as role model to peers and members of the health care team.
· Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status.
· Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
· Provide patient education, counseling and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventative care.
· Participate in and support accreditation, compliance and regulatory activities of the organization.
· Precept APP students and other health care learners.
· Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers appropriately
Current licensure as a Nurse Practitioner in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Board certification in area of specialty and Master’s degree required.
This position is outpatient-based, Monday through Friday 40 hours per week with hybrid work environment. The team also has rotational, shared on-call duties. Hours may be adjusted to meet the operational needs of the department.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.