Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Strategic Decision Support (SDS) group provides Penn Medicine leadership with the data, analysis, and insight necessary to ensure informed decision-making on key strategic issues. The SDS Senior Technical Consultant will provide technical leadership to SDS and data teams across the organization. He/she will demonstrate mastery over data tools, concepts and processes. He/she will be an expert in navigating the EMR (Epic or other) data space primarily from a finance/quality/operations perspective. The Senior Technical Consultant will oversee data routines and establish sound data standard operating procedures. This position will oversee (direct and/or in-direct) the work of junior data analysts and consultants. The Senior Consultant will play a strong role in ensuring data is governed well and lead metric development efforts across the enterprise.
This position provides leadership and advocacy for the creation of knowledge and intelligence to support the Penn Medicine Primary Care Service Line. Plans, leads and maintains advanced primary care and population health analytic functions for Penn Medicine. Provides Analytics leadership and subject matter expertise to Primary Care Service Line leadership and other key stakeholders at Penn Medicine.
- Primary data analysis contact for an entity or a specific organization structure (e.g., service lines).
- Manage internal and external data vendors as requested and hold them accountable for deliverables.
- Optimize work processes and automate tasks to ensure data integrity, consistency and efficiency.
- Set up standard operating procedures for data teams including quality assurance, response to end user question about existing reports and requests for information.
Subject Matter Expertise:
- Demonstrate mastery over one or more Epic data modules. Be the “go-to” resource for the analyst community. Maintain or obtain Epic Clarity certification.
- Demonstrate mastery and control over data mart load processes and ensure high availability of accurate data to end users.
- Must be an expert in SQL query authoring. Mentor other team members on this skillset.
- Provide technical consulting support to other data teams within the organization.
- Oversee (direct or in-direct) work output of data analysts and consultants.
- Help recruit, train and coach new hires and set them up for success.
- Manage up expectations and escalate concerns in a prompt manner.
- Track tasks and requests and ensure timely completion of activities.
- Must participate actively in enterprise data governance initiatives (finance, quality and/or operations).
- Must promote adoption of standard data definitions and usage across analyst teams.
- Help data domains debate data definitions and move towards a common definition.
Problem Framing and Decision Quality:
- Expertly work with business owners to define needs and deliverables within the rules of data governance and data integrity.
- Strive for high decision quality by thinking ahead and informing stakeholders for success.
- Collaborate effectively with Information Services and other data teams in the organizations.
- Ensure high availability of data systems such as Tableau.
- Work toward problem resolution breaking down barriers between teams.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree required; preferably in Computer Science, Business Administration, Health Information Management
- 6+ years of experience in the health care industry in some combination of the following is required: physician practice operations, clinical analytics, health plan, multi-facility health system, or accountable care organization (ACO) settings
- Prior work experience with EMR data.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities; strong project management skills
- Intermediate to expert level SQL query writing experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of data structures and relationships used in reporting historical trends, current opportunities/problems, and future direction
- Communicates effectively with all levels of staff to exchange information, ideas, and respond to inquiries
- Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills
- Understanding of health care operations
- Ability to utilize critical thinking
- Ability to work as part of a team; multi-task
- Able to deliver clear and concise presentations to varied audiences
- Must be attentive to detail
- Skilled in the use of statistical/data management software packages (preferred)
- Experience working with multiple technical platforms (preferred)
- Recognizes and works effectively in complex, political and ambiguous situations (preferred)
- Demonstrated successful relationship building all levels of staff, physicians and executives (preferred)
- Supervisory experience (preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.