Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Manager Ambulatory Access
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 137530
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jun 6, 2022
Work Schedule: Per Departmental Needs
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Manager of Ambulatory Access provides oversight and direction for patient call navigation and registration services to the Department population within the departmental access center and also assumes supervisory and training responsibilities for the Access Center staff. Oversees the daily schedule and operations of the call team and serves as both the expert and the liaison between Department practice physicians/advanced practice providers to ensure daily performance expectations are communicated and met. Responsibilities include the management of all aspects of access center operations, including internal and external to the department, customer and patient satisfaction, personnel management of Patient Service Coordinators and Patient Service Associates, scheduling, registration, financial clearance and quality. Directs the efforts of others in the achievement of the strategic and operational objectives of the group. This position has oversight for development and implementation of the triage and patient navigation program. The scope of this work includes anticipating and facilitating multimodality dynamic scheduling for patients, triage services, and coordination of care across various specialties in oncology care including routing appropriate clinical calls back to the respective practice care teams.
- Ensures management of the daily operations for the Department Access Center.
- Assists patients in overcoming barriers to care including transportation, financial counseling, referrals, etc.
- Refers patients for supportive care services including nutritionists, social workers, counselors and financial counselors.
- Collaborates with departmental Billing Manager and Administrative Coordinator to streamline patient intake.
- Patient scheduling, billing, and coordination of services
- Maintains a patient and customer focus based on patient satisfaction and other indicators
- Provides support to departmental operations to achieve established goals
- Collaborates with the primary clinical provider, practice care team and data analyst to create, use, and maintain a navigational reporting structure that is able to track the progress of patients who are receiving navigational services.
- Responsible for access team metrics/reporting to key service line stakeholders
- Facilitates initiation of the treatment plan, which includes having intake specialists schedule soonest appointment with the right provider
- Functions in an organized and time conscious manner.
- Ensures that the Department access team facilitates well-coordinated, timely compassionate and multidisciplinary care.
- Works across health care disciplines to assist in coordinating patient tests, procedures, appointments, and treatments.
- Reviews digital leads and on-line scheduling leads and ensures intake specialists working queue of inbound calls to facilitate scheduling.
- Develops and continuously improves screening and triage algorithms and processes.
- Tracks departmental processes and reports to ensure access KPI benchmarks are developed and met.
- Adheres to department access policies and recommends changes as appropriate, with a focus on continuous process improvement and optimized patient access.
- Participates as a member of the disease site and network teams.
- Manages the scheduling functions for new, return and simulation patients.
- Maintains oversight of provider templates in partnership with physicians and practice administrations
- Monitors and oversees the simulation scheduling process to ensure timely completion of order requests received utilizing effective communication and documentation to the clinical team and patient
- Reduces and eliminates preventable patient care delivery impacts, and ensures communication is provided to department service delivery areas when unresolved financial issues could affect a delay in treatment
- Monitors account assignments and work-queues to ensure accounts are being worked timely and appropriately
- Ensures staff informs applicable patient out of pockets liabilities prior to services for both professional services and hospital services
- Acquires and maintains EPIC scheduling and registration certification
- Adjusts staffing in accordance with call volume and staff resources, ensuring coverage exists for routine call-outs
- Ensures proper registration and scheduling procedures are followed and maintained including the completion of registration at point of call. Inform patient of co-pay obligations
- Oversees pre-processing of cases where appropriate to ensure secure accounts
- Manages and partners with IS to correct system issues and problems that impact services provided by the Access Center
- Maintains current and new system technology to improve overall performance of Access Center.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- 6+ years Progressive responsibility in health care practice administration and/or call center in a university/hospital setting
- Master of Arts or Science
- Health Administration, Business Administration, Healthcare Management, Public Health
Progressive responsibility in health care practice administration and/or call center in a university/hospital setting
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE