Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 138231
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Jun 9, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Technical skills and abilities must include an above average knowledge of accounting principles and concepts related to financial reporting and budgeting and the ability to analyze, compare, interpret, and suggest solutions to accounting and finance issues while maintaining great attention to detail and accuracy. Dedication to the timely completion of all tasks, effective listening skills, and the ability to ask educated questions at appropriate times. Inclination to be a self-motivator and to apply creativity and conceptualization skills effectively with management. Promote a positive attitude toward other staff members. The ability to work independently and also as part of a team. Good command of the English language. Demonstrate punctuality and meet set department deadlines. Maintain a professional attitude at all times. Communicate effectively with assigned department financial managers and staff. Consistently adhere to departmental standards for a professional office environment. Constantly be aware of and adhere to UPHS employment policies and procedures.
- This role is expected to: Work closely with the Accounting Supervisor in maintaining day-to-day operations of the Accounting Department; Work well with operational management with timely communications and provide a customer service orientation of financial services to all constituencies; Participates in valuation and analysis of net patient revenue and of the monthly financial statement package; Identify and recommend functions for automation as appropriate; Provide timely and accurate service to Department Directors, Administration CFO, and other customers during the monthly close and budget process; Promote team playing with work group; Manage and complete special projects as assigned from managers and controller in a timely and accurate fashion; prepare ad-hoc analyses and variance explanations as assigned and in support of the month end close process; Support of Annual Operating Budget Process as assigned; Maintains necessary schedules and documentation for monthly closings, quarterly reviews, and annual audit; Reviews financial data for accuracy, reasonableness, and completeness; Applies GAAP and HUP financial Reporting Standards without exception; Provides assistance as necessary with special projects, operating budget, and financial audit; Provides financial support to Controller and Department Directors as required.
- Assist in monthly financial close process including review, analyses, and distribute of internal and external financial information.
- Value Outpatient Accounts Receivable to NRV utilizing payor specific reimbursement rates.
- Prepare and maintain AR related analyses.
- Review monthly transactions for unusual tends, resolve exceptions, and correct errors.
- Assist Supervisor/Manager in preparation of variance explanations.
- Create and maintain Database of monthly ad-hoc data to support detailed review and analysis of collection rates and revenue trends.
- Assist in annual net patient service revenue and statistical budget process.
- Assist in quarterly and annual external audit process including preparation or workpapers, flux schedules, and other analyses.
- Prepare monthly journal entries and account analyses in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Perform special projects as required.
- Work with Supervisor in resolving problems related to standard financial issues and practices.
- Responsible for the daily reconciliation of deposits from cash system to GL and of cash clearing to GL.
- Responsible for the reconciliation of Consolidated Hospital AR, Bad Debt, and NPR schedules.
- Responsible for reconciling other Patient Accounts Receivable on a monthly basis. Works with Supervisor to address issues.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
- Certified Public Accountant (Preferred)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and/or Finance (Required)
- 2+ years General Accounting experience or related field (Required)
Skills & Abilities:
- 2-4 years General Accounting experience or related field
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Regulations
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, Power Point and Outlook
- Experience with Horizon Decision Support Cost Accounting System (or similar)
- Experience with EPIC (or similar) Patient accounting billing system
- Experience with Lawson (or similar) General Ledger system
- Experience with Hyperion Reporting and Budget System (or similar)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE