Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Clinical Services Associate (Medical Assistant)
Job ID: 139336
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jun 14, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Family Medicine West Chester
$2,000 sign-on bonus available for external hires
The Clinical Services Associates (CSA) assists the practice manager and physicians in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets. The CSA supports the practice by performing clinical and administrative duties as a Medical Assistant and as a Patient Services Associate. The practice will determine, based on operational need, how much time will be spent in each capacity (MA and PSA).
Are you looking for an organization that actively supports your career growth? If so, a Clinical Services Associate opportunity at Penn Medicine can help get you there! Clinical Services Associates have an opportunity to join our organization and make a difference in the lives of our patients. Clinical Services Associates with Penn Medicine are in a unique position to gain valuable knowledge which can be leveraged to move not only into more advanced clinical roles but also operational roles. Through our generous tuition benefit as well as our commitment to promoting from within Penn Medicine sees more than 30% of our employees secure advancement opportunities into roles such as a Clinical Services Coordinator, Nurses, and Practice Managers just to name a few!
Penn Medicine employees enjoy a comprehensive benefit package to include generous paid time off and paid holidays. And health insurance premiums which have remained flat for 5 years!
Want to hear more? Submit your application today for this Clinical Services Associate opportunity and learn more about what a career path at Penn Medicine could look like for you!
Patient Care Accountabilities:
- Promptly rooms patients, using EMR to alert provider that patient is ready: reviews past medical, surgical, family, smoking history, allergies, medications; notes corrections in EMR, notes medication refills needed for the physician to review, initiates self-management goal setting where appropriate, obtains patient’s vital signs and documents in EMR, prepares chart for patient visit, understands insurance restrictions for lab work, referral needs, precertification requirements, etc.
- Observes patient condition and communicates any abnormal data or changes to provider.
- Assists patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, undressing, preparing for the exam, remains in exam room when necessary/requested.
- Specimen management: obtain specimens for testing if applicable (including performing phlebotomy and anterior nares nasal swab collections), performs laboratory and screening tests, records results in EMR and reconciles with logs where appropriate, documents and reports findings to providers, performs all quality controls as per Point of Care Testing guidelines, prepares specimens for transport as necessary.
- Performs EKGs and other outpatient screening tests as per MD order and after properly preparing the patient; accurately documents results in EMR.
- Assists with minor surgical procedures by handing instruments, maintaining sterile field, positioning of patient and other duties within scope of responsibility. Functions as a witness for procedural consents if required.
- Responds appropriately to emergency/code situations.
- CCA CSAs, if applicable as per regulatory guidelines: administers prescribed medications, gives injections and vaccines; reads PPD results, under the direction of the provider/orders and documents in EMR.
- Demonstrates competence in the observation, treatment, and care of the specific patients served in that practice, whose ages may range from neonate to geriatric.
Clerical / Other Accountabilities:
- Responsive and proactive telephonic patient care - including care coordination with specialists, ancillary services, hospitals, labs, home care agencies, and all other involved health services.
- Obtain and scan documents as appropriate and required for visit: test results, faxes, reports, notes, referrals, etc.
- Completes medical forms and other clinical requests for information as appropriate and required. Prepares and sends patient correspondence as required. Assists nursing staff with the maintenance of patient education materials, as needed.
- CCA CSAs: Promptly performs call-backs as directed by provider, giving patients information within their scope of practice. Provides patients with follow up care instructions.
Environmental / Safety Accountabilities:
- Adheres to universal body fluids precautions and infection control policies. Disposes of infectious waste properly. Promotes infection control by using appropriate hand washing techniques.
- Ensures that the patient care areas are kept neat, orderly, well stocked and properly prepared.
- Cleans, disinfects, and sterilizes instruments and equipment according to protocols and checks that the instruments and equipment are in proper working order. Notifies Supervisor of malfunctions. Sets up equipment and instruments as per practice protocol.
- Cleans and restocks equipment as needed. Authorized to access secured area to obtain items such as intravenous solutions and medication preparation supplies for the purpose of stocking and maintaining pars in the medication carts. Retrieves supplies and medications/blood products from tube system. Secures stock items in appropriate location. Delivers patient specific medications/blood products to the assigned nurse or provider.
- Maintain temperature log for refrigerator or room temperature as needed.
- Maintains a safe environment and protects the patient from injury by observing the patient who may be at risk for falls, confusion, disorientation, or wandering behaviors.
- CCA CSAs if applicable as per regulatory guidelines: Maintains medication storage closet inventory and security; checks expiration dates; removes outdated items. Performs daily code/crash cart checks as assigned.
- Strives to understand and anticipate patient needs, manages service recovery efforts when needed, enlisting management assistance as appropriate, identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience.
- As per practice/department protocols and/or measurements: answer phones in a timely manner, manage/handle patient requests and route appropriately, retrieve voicemails in a timely manner, take accurate and thorough messages and route appropriately through EMR.
- Schedule patient appointments (on phone or in person) by determining reason for visit, following established schedules and protocols, using appropriate billing area/appointment location, communicating changes and confirming appointments, and, as needed, offering alternative and canceling/rescheduling appointments.
- Responsible for arriving/departing activities of patient at practice and performs point of service activities: collects copays and records accurately, obtains necessary signatures/forms, obtains insurance cards and referrals/authorizations, updates appointment status in EMR, and finalizes all check-out procedures.
- Communicates with patients regarding patient flow and wait times – keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise.
- Issues referrals and obtains pre-authorizations for patients as required and as per protocol.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient service and billing procedures: including basic knowledge of all managed care plans and which insurers require a copayment or referral.
- Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EMR using established protocols
- Records receipts accurately to ensure end of day reconciliation; participates in cash reconciliation delineations.
- Resolves work queues and/or issues from front-end reports; proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
- Orders supplies for the office and generates front-end process reports as requested.
Other / Regulatory:
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, etc)
- Flexible and readily adopts new processes and engages in practice operation changes.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- MA Certification (required within 90 days of hire)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required) AND 2+ years Medical office experience, or 4 years of customer service experience
- Associate's Degree preferred.
- Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program (or higher level equivalent) required OR 7+ years’ experience working as an MA may be considered in lieu of MA program completion.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE