Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
RN Lactation Consultant per diem - Mother Baby Unit at Penn Princeton
Job ID: 137722
Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Jun 14, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Lactation Consultant-Registered Nurse (LC-RN) functions to enhance the normal process of lactation and to prevent, assess, and manage lactation problems in the in-patient setting. The Lactation Consultant is a health care provider who is qualified to provide education and consultation for routine and special circumstances related to breastfeeding.
- The Lactation Consultant (LC) collaborates with multi-disciplinary team members to develop plans of care for breastfeeding families, performs consultations at appropriate intervals and anticipates the patient discharge and establishes appropriate plan of care. The LC-RN develops appropriate nurse-patient/family relationships integrating patient/family concerns, beliefs and values into the plan of care. The LC continually evaluates the effectiveness of this plan of care and adapts the plan based on the patient's response.
- The LC-RN completes an initial assessment using principles of interviewing, observation, and physical assessments. Conducts daily bedside lactation rounds.
- Demonstrates the proper use of breast pumps and other breastfeeding accessories. Assists with breast pump rental initiation.
- Provides assistance via telephone to pregnant and lactating women requiring information, counseling, follow-up, and refers them to appropriate programs.
- Serves as a breastfeeding advocate, encouraging informed decision-making. The LC-RN will individualize and prioritize care to meet the physical and emotional needs of the breastfeeding mother and infant.
- Plans, teaches and conducts in-service education for Maternal-Child Health nursing staff and providers. Orients new nursing staff to the newborn feeding policy and practice guidelines and serves as a mentor for Lactation (IBCLC) and Certified Breastfeeding Counselor (CBC) interns.
- Collaborates with community-based providers and services to establish continuity of care.
- Participates appropriately in communication and decision-making for Maternal-Child Health services and participates in all quality improvement initiatives.
- Creates an environment that promotes learning for staff and patients.
- Actively participates in breastfeeding committee meetings and activities, skill fairs and shadowing/preceptor for staff
- Maintains at least the minimum requirement for continuing education and stays abreast of current evidence-based best practice recommendations.
- Adheres to the Clinical Competencies for the Practice of International Board Certified Lactation Consultants document issued by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE)
- Practices to the fullest extent of, but not beyond the clinical scope of practice for IBCLCs as established by the IBLCE.
- Carries out all other duties as assigned.
- Intnl Brd Cert Lactation Cnslt (Required)
- Registered Nurse - NJ (Required)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)- within 6 months of hire.
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
At least two years of maternal-child health nursing with IBCLC experience and ability to collaborate with the multidisciplinary care teams.
- Other (Required)
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing required
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE