Job ID: 138881
West Chester, PA, United States
Jun 14, 2022
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
General Summary Statement
Responsible for supervision and coordination of nursing staff to assure the provision of safe and effective care on weekend, evening and night shifts. Represents administration for problem solving and decision making Hospital wide on weekend, evening and night shifts. Supports and interprets the mission, philosophy and objectives of TCCH. The Administrative Supervisor monitors and maintains the standards of JCAHO and DOH.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical Support Competency
1. Considers age specific care when making decisions regarding staff assignments
2. Interacts with the patient/family in a manner that preserves patient dignity, privacy and meets psychosocial needs of the patient.
3. Assists in patient placement/bed assignment.
4. Monitors and ensures timely patient throughput on an ongoing basis. Responds to throughput delays to resolve identified barriers
5.. Prioritizes activities and responsibilities appropriately to ensure completion within time deadlines
6. Prioritizes rounds based on activity and criticality
7. Provides input for new or revised policies to ensure quality service and consistency with regulatory requirements.
8. Serves as a resource for policies, procedures and standards to assure staff compliance.
9. Reports occurrences and sentinel events to the Risk Manager and others as per policy.
10. Investigates patient and employee incidents and ensures that reports are filed within 24 hours of occurrence in collaboration with Unit Manager.
11. Keeps administration appropriately advised on all issues in an appropriate time frame.
12. Participates in performance improvement activities.
13. Participates in demonstrates knowledge regarding de-escalation training.
14. Participates and maintains knowledge regarding programs such as Telepsychiatry, CPI training.
Human Resources, Recruitment and Retention Expectations
1. Identifies personnel problems and follows through with problem solving in collaboration with appropriate manager or department head.
2. Initiates and documents counseling and disciplinary action when indicated in a timely manner.
3. Demonstrates the ability to utilize available human resources in order to maximize the effectiveness of work performed by the staff.
4. Assesses changes in acuity levels and census for adjustment of staffing.
5. Staffing sheets are updated, accurate and correctly coded
1. Demonstrates the ability to utilize available human resources in order to maintain the staffing standards according to variable staffing guidelines and patient acuity requirements.
2. Demonstrates a working knowledge of personnel budget for staffing purposes, including the use of on-call, basic pay, non-paid and per diem rates.
3. Makes and acts on suggestions for improving the operating efficiency of the Nursing Department
1. Collaborates with Nurse Managers regarding unit, shift and staffing issues. Communicates in a clear and concise manner. Elicits feedback from staff and peers.
2. Demonstrates the ability to identify, analyze and diplomatically resolve interpersonal, interdepartmental or professional conflicts and seeks assistance at appropriate times.
3. Attends Administrative Supervisor’s meetings per protocol and reads the meeting minutes if not in attendance.
4. Mentors, coaches and acts as a resource for staff
5. Maintains and updates own nursing knowledge by attending continuing education programs, reads nursing literature, reads posted inservice material and uses unit and hospital resources.
6. Obtain and/or Maintain specialty certification.
Education Training and Experience
Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; BSN required. Five (5) years clinical experience including charge or management experience. Good verbal/written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills
Current Pennsylvania State Nursing license.
CPR, ACLS and PALS certification.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.