Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director of Advanced Practice (Ambulatory) - Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 138324
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Jun 17, 2022
Work Schedule: Per Departmental Needs
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Ambulatory Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania is looking to add a Director of Advanced Practice to their growing team. In this role you will assume 80% ADMINISTRATIVE and 20% CLINICAL responsibilities and a qualified candidate will posses no less than Five years of Ambulatory Advanced Practice experience and One year of Leadership experience.
- The CPUP Director of Advance Practice supports the Associate Executive Director of Clinical Operations, CPUP Chief Medical Officer and Senior and Departmental Leadership in attracting and developing a team of highly capable, committed advanced practice providers (APPs); shares a passion for patient and customer centered care; continually develops the Penn Medicine brand; and ensures the financial health and long-term sustainability of the entity and health system.
- The Director of Advance Practice partners with Senior Leadership in establishing short and long range strategic plans for APPs, including nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurse midwives and certified nurse anesthetists. This individual will provide infrastructure, role definition, and leadership direction for the APPs by developing and communicating goals, monitoring achievement, and revising the plan as needed. The Director plans, develops, implements, and directs operational direction of APPs, partnering closely with Directors of Operations and Lead Physicians and CPUP Clinical Directors. This individual will have responsibility for APP orientation, professional practice model, and productivity metrics.
- The APP Director manager will also have practice oversight for the APPs across the continuum, integrating the boundaries of setting or entity.
- The Advanced Practice Director will function under the guidelines as designed by the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center medical staff bylaws and is credentialed through that body.
- Accountable for human resource needs, workforce planning and development of staffing models, orientation, onboarding, professional development, employee engagement and satisfaction, budget planning, and partnership between the clinical service / service line
- Role definition:
- Ensures that APPs are clear in
- Human Resources:
- Oversight for APP recruitment, in collaboration with the Clinical CPUP Departments and Human Resources. Includes participation in the interviewing and selection processes. Collaborate with Human Resources in all aspects of the recruitment life cycle. Participate in annual strategic workforce planning efforts for APPs, planning for new practice locations, mergers/acquisitions, turnover, and growth.
- Promotes a culture of professionalism amongst APPs across the entity.
- Responsible for consultation in the performance management process of APPs to address performance issues immediately and directly through appropriate investigative channels. Communicates with appropriate stakeholders regarding APP issues and ensures counsel complies with legal and state/federal regulations and UPHS policy.
- Development of APPs to optimize productivity, engagement, patient experience and quality metrics. Networks regularly with APPs across the entity, organizing opportunities for group discussion.
- Provides appropriate on-boarding for APPs, including post-hire meet & greets, first year engagement, and mentorship programs.
- Partners with other Penn Medicine Advanced Practice leadership and the Department of Nursing Education, Innovation, & Professional Development to develop orientation programs for new-to-practice APPs.
- Collaborates with Finance and Operations to establish and maintain productivity standards for APPs
- Ensures that licenses and collaborative agreements are maintained for all APPs, per state guidelines
- Maintains fluency in the EMR to optimize workflows and encourage timely chart closure
- Partners closely with Penn School of Nursing and other local Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, Midwife and CRNA training programs to enable student rotations in various departments across the entity.
- Serves in a clinical advisory capacity for other (non-Advanced Practice) roles, including: RN, LPN, Medical Assistant. Advises on role definition, licensure and certification requirements, state regulations, and establishes competency guidelines for the various roles in collaboration with Human Resources.
- Interfaces with the Advanced Practice leadership in the other UPHS entities to ensure consistency across Penn Medicine their job responsibilities and working at the top of their license.
- CNM or CRNP or PA or RN (Required)
- RN-PA or RN-NJ (Required)
- Board certified as a Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant, or Nurse Midwife
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Science (Required)
5+ years Recent ambulatory APP experience with demonstrated clinical competence and professional accountability
1+ years Prior leadership experience (including prior employee relations experience) and comprehensive knowledge of state regulations, legislation, and licensure requirements for APPs
- Ph.D. or Doctor of Nursing Practice Preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE