Job ID: 140248
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Jun 21, 2022
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center has a Infection Preventionist opening.
This position coordinates the daily activities that promote the prevention, detection (surveillance) and control of nosocomial infections among patients and personnel.
Essential Accountabilities Include:
1. Assists in the research and development of Infection Control Policies and Procedures for all hospital departments in accordance with regulatory agencies.
2. Assesses patient’s charts including histories, examination findings, and laboratory data, as appropriate, when infection is known or suspected. Attempts to determine source of infection as hospital acquired or community-acquired.
3. Reports identified hospital acquired infections (HAIs) in a timely manner within PPMC and UPHS, as well as to the National Healthcare Safety Network as required by the state of PA.
4. Represents Infection Prevention and Control during other departmental rounding, and/or participates in Infection Control rounds throughout the hospital and assesses compliance with Infection Control policies. Makes recommendations based on findings.
5. Maintains an accurate database of all relevant information regarding HAIs; utilizes this data to prepare complete, accurate and timely reports for all committees as required.
6. Performs ongoing surveillance for areas of assigned responsibility regarding HAIs, and evaluates data for potential clusters or outbreaks
7. Performs risk assessments and assists in developing and maintaining an annual Infection Control Program Plan
8. Assists in the performance of an outbreak investigation, determines appropriate actions for controlling such outbreaks, provides recommendations and oversees implementation.
9. Recommends and/or initiates isolation precautions or discontinuation of such precautions in conjunction with infection Control Policies.
10. Evaluates as per assigned responsibility all policies and procedures regarding aseptic and sanitation techniques, cleaning policies, and cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization policies, employed in the hospital.
11. Provides training to all hospital departments and new employees relevant to infection control policies and procedures when required.
12. Represents the department at assigned meetings to present data, provide expert guidance, and assist with policy changes or implementation.
13. Maintains confidentiality of highly sensitive patient and provider information.
14. Participates in hospital performance improvement initiatives and/or strategies to reduce/prevent HAIs, infection or colonization with multi-drug resistant organisms, and occurrence of outbreaks
Please apply if you possess these qualifications:
Certification in Infection Control (CIC) preferred, but if not certified upon hire, expected within 2 years of hire
- A Bachelor’s degree in nursing or related clinical health program, masters preferred.
- Must possess the ability to communicate with physicians and hospital personnel at all organizational levels.
- Demonstrates the ability to influence others in order to achieve goals.
- Effectively analyzes problems, identifies alternatives and facilitates resolution.
- Displays thorough and accurate data collection, analysis and presentation skills.
- Displays excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Individual must have knowledge or job experience in the following areas: epidemiologic principles of infectious diseases, sterilization, sanitation and disinfection practices, and adult education or patient care practice.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.