This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 136447
Health Information Management/Coding
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Jun 21, 2022
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The HIM Data Informatics Coordinator serves as an internal consultant and information provider on a wide range of administrative, business, and clinical issues relevant to HIM leadership. This position is responsible for the development of analytical tools, data transformation, and/or developing advanced visualizations. Will work with stakeholders across HIM to identify potential issues or opportunities and develop data-driven work plans to address them. As such, will be the primary data analysis contact for the HIM department. They should have an internal drive to answer "why?" questions, excellent analytical abilities, solid business acumen, as well as superior written and verbal communication skills. The HIM Data Informatics Coordinator should be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, and able to think big (while paying careful attention to detail). Additionally, will code and abstract inpatient charts for Penn Medicine at the level of Inpatient Coding Specialist III. As required, will also assist in internal auditing using SMART. This dual role between data analytics and coding will be imperative to assisting with Corporate HIM Coding and Clinical Effectiveness and Quality Improvement initiatives.
Key Areas of Responsibility Include:
• Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets. Manage expectations and escalate concerns in a prompt manner to support decision making
• Involved in the following: data analytics, dashboard/financial reporting, financial analysis/trending, metric development, and ad hoc analysis/projects.
• Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases/data systems.
• Data Routines:
o Create and maintain Tableau dashboards of departmental significance including but not limited to: Patient Safety Indicators, Vizient Complications, Select Penn Medicine Team Goals, US News & World Report metrics, Physician queries
o Create and maintain development of internal Excel data products of departmental significance, including but not limited to: Validation of data entered by several distinct review processes, including Patient Safety Indicators; Physician queries; Automation of data-discovery tasks Relating to U.S. News and World Report comorbidities and Vizient risk adjustment variables
o Creating and maintain development of internal projects relating to coding education and/or leadership meetings, including but not limited to: Coding Clinic review education index; mapping PowerPoint slides to their respective educational topic; Coder Roundtable index (consisting of monthly topics discussed among HIM leadership, indexed to their ICD-10 CM body system); Other information projects benefiting from organization and structure, as requested
o Maintain internal databases annually, relating to ICD-10-CM; Elixhauser comorbidities; Vizient variables
o Compile monthly reports for hospital service-line leadership, relating to U.S. News and World Report 30-Day Survival review results
o Construct, test, and implement data-driven products according to the needs of HIM leadership, as requested. Conducts all programming necessary for data manipulation and the generation of all analytical cohorts in preparation for analysis.
• Subject Matter Expertise:
o Design, build, test and deploy dashboards in Tableau. Be the dashboard administrator and point of contact for data products operated by HIM department
o Build sophisticated data tools to answer complex business questions. These tool packs will contain transformed data from source system that allow analysts to answer multiple business questions. Use Tableau and other data tools to build solution sets for end user consumption
o Provide technical counsel to Corporate Coding staff
o Maintain strict levels of data confidentiality, privacy, and security
o Help business users frame poorly articulated needs into robust data deliverables
o Coordinate with team leadership and others, as assigned, to ensure analytics are aligned with team and system imperatives. Attend planning and status meetings with leadership to understand project requirements and provide constructive commentary
• Coding and Auditing Responsibilities:
o Examines the complete medical record to accurately determine the principal & secondary diagnoses, procedures, comorbidities and complications demonstrating 96% accuracy as determined by audits. Sequence the diagnoses & procedures to obtain the optimal DRG or APR-DRG assignment and demonstrates 96% accuracy as determined by monthly audits
o Performs inpatient audits using SMART software. This includes communicating with the staff in a professional manner and providing Coding Clinic or clinical information when required. May also perform other audits as needed by the department.
o Maintains professional credentials by continuing education both inside and outside the organization and tracks continuing education credits.
o Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
o Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Health Information Management or related field is required
• 5+ years of Inpatient coding experience at a tertiary care facility, preferably in an academic medical center is required
Licenses, Registrations, and Certifications
• Certified Coding Specialist (AHIMA) is required.
• RHIA or RHIT is preferred
Required Skills and Abilities
• Extensive knowledge of medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology, and clinical disease processes
• Extensive knowledge of ICD-10-CM/PCS classification systems
• Ability to assess, prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a stressful environment
• Familiarity with computerized encoders and electronic health record system
• X Strong knowledge of MS-DRG’s and medical record documentation requirements are essential.
• Identify principal and secondary diagnoses in order to accurately reflect the patient’s hospital course utilizing ICD-10-CM with appropriate application of coding conventions and guidelines
• Strong knowledge of Tableau and Excel required
• Familiarity with large complex data sets
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
• Maintain strict HIPPA compliance and confidentiality in reference to all information reviewed and/or discussed
• Comfortable navigating SharePoint application
• Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures
• Extensive knowledge of federal, state, and payer-specific regulations and policies pertaining to documentation and coding
• Maintains responsibility for professional development by participating
As part of our COVID-19 response, this position may currently be offering partial or full remote work. However, in the near future this position will require full or partial on-site work.We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.