Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Executive Communications Director serves as a chief strategist and content creator for communications relating to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS). Reporting to and working collaboratively with the Vice President of Administration and UPHS Chief of Staff, the Executive Communications Director will identify and develop tactics and content to support communications activities for the UPHS CEO and marquee institutional initiatives. They will create materials and manage logistics for executive speaking engagements, write for print and electronic communications, and shape strategy for broader executive communications efforts, including social media and employee engagement initiatives.
This position plays a crucial role in driving operational process improvements for executive communications activities and identifying/developing new areas of focus and strategies for communicating key initiatives of the CEO to the workforce and select external audiences. They will work in close consultation with leaders from the Penn Medicine Communications Department to aid in harmonizing executive communications content across Penn Medicine's external communications and internal work, including the CEO's contributions to publications and earned media opportunities. Responsibilities will include both short- and long-term priorities and special projects and require the ability to juggle and deliver on a diverse portfolio of assignments, working with leaders and staff across the highly matrixed organization.
- Provides strategic and tactical communications support to the CEO and for advancement of Penn Medicine, including both short- and long-term needs and initiatives.
- Develops, maintains, and adapts a portfolio of communications materials including presentations, speeches, talking points, visual assets, and social media content for the CEO.
- Works collaboratively with Penn Medicine Communications, Government Relations, Development, and Marketing to ensure uniform messaging with regard to strategy, content, and tone across materials and programming for internal and external audiences.
- Identifies, creates, and implements new systems and approaches for development and dissemination of executive communications materials across different channels, including employee communications tactics and social media.
- Manages logistics and deliverables for CEO speaking engagements (including live and pre-recorded events), including on-site staffing as needed.
- Develop relationships with key UPHS leaders and staff to independently obtain information and shape communications strategy and tactics and work collaboratively to ensure completion of projects for the Office of the CEO.
- May serve as proxy for CEO with internal and external constituents.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree required. In Communications, English, Journalism or a related field preferred.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in public relations/communications or journalism required. Strong health care, non-profit and/or higher education experience preferred.
- Significant experience crafting executive message or writing about/covering leaders preferred.
- Ability to be flexible and work under pressure, including time-sensitive assignments.
- Demonstrated success accurately capturing the voice, tone, and priorities of executives and translating for use across multiple communications tactics.
- Demonstrates an understanding of broader news events and trends in medicine and healthcare in order to report on new information, synthesize content from disparate sources and topics in order to make appropriate recommendations regarding executive communications strategy.
- Extensive experience writing for and packaging information through an array of mediums – publications, social media, speeches/public speaking/presentations, video, infographics, etc.
- Ability to translate technical information into language accessible by the lay public and all members of the Penn Medicine workforce.
- Strong track record of managing projects and processes and working with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong experience creating engaging slide decks and other presentation materials, including PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite, etc. and working with other creative colleagues to develop videos, advanced graphic design materials, etc.
- Comfort with virtual event platforms and A/V technology for video and audio recording.
- Superior understanding of the principles and practice of health care and medicine.
- Experience writing and editing on medical and healthcare topics.
- Experience working with advocacy and professional associations.
- Experience with management of external contractors/vendors.
As part of our COVID-19 response, this position may currently be offering partial or full remote work. However, in the near future this position will require full or partial on-site work.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.