Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director Pharmacy, Penn Medicine Princeton Health
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 139463
Work Type: FT
Location: Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Date Posted: Jun 21, 2022
Work Schedule: Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Penn Medicine Princeton Health is searching for our next Director of Inpatient Pharmacy. In this role, you will directs all activities of the Department of Pharmacy Services in accordance with administrative standards established by Princeton HealthCare System, the New Jersey State Board of Pharmacy, Federal and State Regulatory Agencies, JCAHO Standards, and ASHP practice guidelines.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Responsible for the direction and supervision of all aspects of the Pharmacy Department activities, including those at the Hospital Unit, Princeton House, Outpatient Infusion, Hospice, the Outpatient Clinic and the retail pharmacy.
- Prepares the Pharmacy Department budget (Hospital Unit and Homecare). Monitors expenses and identifies trends and usage patterns which effect the budget. Reports all variances.
- Oversees changes in the Patient Charge Master to insure accuracy and pricing and assigns responsibility to reconcile discrepancies.
- Negotiates with vendors for contracts and special purchasing opportunities to insure best prices available.
- Makes decisions relative to generic/therapeutic substitutions. Evaluates vendors to insure quality of pharmaceutical brand and products.
- Interviews and controls activities of pharmaceutical company sales representatives. Insures compliance to guidelines established for their activity in all areas of Princeton HealthCare System.
- Oversees inventory maintenance to insure proper levels of drugs are available at all times keeping the cost implication of over stock in setting their levels.
- Authorizes all invoices for payments.
- Responsible for the Department’s Performance Improvement activities. Insures that corrective actions are instituted promptly as needed.
- Interviews, hires, commends and disciplines all pharmacy personnel. Responsible for completion of the performance evaluations, annual and probationary, for all pharmacy employees.
- Insures that pharmacy staff adheres to the policies and procedures of the Pharmacy Department as well as all organizational policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the activities of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and the Sub-Committee for Drug Utilization. Serves as the secretary to these committees. Institutes actions and policies of these committees.
- Interacts and works closely with Departmental Chairman, Section Chiefs and Medical Staff to promote and maintain quality pharmaceutical services and patient care.
- Develops and maintains systems and procedures to improve cost effective drug utilization by the Medical Staff through restriction in use or automatic substitutions.
- Interacts with other departments throughout Princeton HealthCare System. Resolves problems and addresses issues of concern as they arise.
- Directs and coordinates the Homecare/Hospice Pharmacy Programs.
- Directs and coordinates the retail pharmacy.
- Serves as the Recording Secretary to the Institutional Review Board Committee. Prepares agendas and minutes. Adheres to all FDA regulations concerning investigational protocols of new drugs.
- Responsible for the affiliation between the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy at Rutgers University and University Medical Center at Princeton.
- Directs and coordinates the clinical activities of the faculty clinical pharmacists at the Hospital Unit and Princeton House Behavioral Health Unit.
- Investigates new areas of pharmacy practice to be implemented at Princeton HealthCare System.
- Responsible for narcotic control and compliance to CDS requirements.
- Insures compliance to Joint Commission standards and State Department of Health requirements.
- Participates in Princeton HealthCare System emergency, fire, disaster and biochemical terrorism programs and drills.
- Administers the pharmacy department’s safety and security program, insuring a safe, clean, orderly environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Serves on Princeton Healthcare System committees as assigned.
- Maintains standards of confidentiality.
- Age-Specific Knowledge and Skills- Possesses the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to meet patients’ physical, psychological and social needs with those growth and development levels/patient populations served within the Pharmacy Department.
- Participates in unit compliance as related to established standards. Other duties and projects as assigned.
- B.S. or PharmD from an accredited College of Pharmacy (required)
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Pharmacy Services (preferred)
- Minimum of five years of current management experience in a teaching hospital (required)
- Current New Jersey license to practice pharmacy (required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE