Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
301206 Lead Advanced Practitioner CRNP
Job ID: 139630
Philadelphia, PA, United States
Jun 23, 2022
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Lead Advanced Practitioner will provide daily clinical and operational management for the advanced practitioners (nurse practitioners and physician assistants) on their service/in their service line in support of institutional and departmental missions. In this position, the Lead Advanced Practitioner will have the following responsibilities: leadership direction, development and maintenance of schedules, orientation of new hires, staffing models, oversight of local credentialing for direct reports, and compliance with performance appraisal process and annual mandatory education offerings.
- The Lead Advanced Practitioner will directly partner with the lead physician and director of operations for the department on best practices, implementation of performance measures, program development and other operational goals. They will also collaborate with the entity and institutional directors of advanced practice on professional role development and APP related initiatives and opportunities.
- The Lead Advanced Practitioner, will have clinical responsibility for patient management on a daily basis as well as provide managerial functions.
- Employee Responsibilities: Regularly meets with AP to improve communication. Manages & eliminates process workarounds. Collaborates with staff to develop action plans. Implements and follow through with action plans.
- Patient Care Responsibilities: Continuously communicates to staff the importance of patient satisfaction and quality of care. Involved in CEQI meetings for patient satisfaction. Analyzes data and identify opportunities for improvement. Manages patient complaints and provide timely follow up to ensure satisfaction. Ensures that staff understand and demonstrate service recovery commitment.
- Unit and Department Duties: Manages and eliminates process workarounds by appropriately and consistently sharing with organizational partners the issues. Serves as lead on governance committees and ongoing education opportunities.
- UPHS Duties: Works with UPHS leadership and unit leadership in developing programs, services and initiatives to anticipate future customer needs. Drives patient satisfaction by ensuring staff under your supervision understand the UPHS commitment Service Excellence Guidelines and have the necessary skills to meet service expectations.
- Credentialing and Licensure Duties: Partners and assures credentialing and licensure for all AP staff in partnership with recruitment and leadership teams
- Recruitment Duties: Serves as an active participant in recruitment and retention strategies for clinical service in partnership with the lead physician. Selects staff who can demonstrate both the professional requirements and UPHS core values. Creates a work environment that is aligned with UPHS core values. Revises job description as necessary to reflect service specific needs and requirements. Coordinates and schedules qualified candidates for interviews with members of services and Recruitment.
- Payroll Duties: Responsible for time, attendance and payroll management, including: making schedules, managing and entering schedules in eStar, enrolling new employees, approving requests for time off, and approving time cards. Responsible for resolution of payroll discrepancies.
- Human Resources Duties: Manages team and individual performance in alignment with UPHS policies. Oversees and manages schedules and coverage issues due to leaves of absences/FMLA. Manages performance management issues in conjunction with Director of AP (i.e. performance, attendance, compliance with UPHS policies). Ensures awareness of resources available to staff (i.e. EAP).
- Workflow Management Duties: Provides leadership for the team of advanced practice providers through problem solving and providing in line leadership for the team. Provides daily oversight of clinical and operational activities of AP team. Collaborates with the lead physician and director of operations on workforce planning, including current and future projections. Is responsible for development of staffing models. Participates in AP Leadership entity and institutional meetings and communicates back to AP team.
- Quality & Patient Safety Duties: Participates in UBCL or other UPHS Quality Initiatives. Participates in and support patient safety goals and initiatives. Builds work processes based on providing safe, effective, patient-centered, timely, efficient and equitable care.
- Clinical Practice Duties: Performs complete and accurate health histories and physical examinations according to medical practice standards and standards of external regulators. Synthesizes patient data. Formulates patient problem list including medical diagnoses, nursing needs/problems, and health risks. Performs, orders, and interprets results of laboratory and diagnostic tests. Requests and utilizes medical and/or nursing consultation. Initiates referrals based on patient /family needs. Coordinates patient care and facilitates communication between various health team services and members and the patient. Orders medications as appropriate. Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and credentialing agreement. Performs teaching appropriate to the patient's and family's needs. Participates in interdisciplinary case management conference, grand rounds, and in-services. Serves as a resource/consultant/preceptor to students and other members of the health care team. Evaluates own clinical performance and seeks appropriate continuing education. Uses resources judiciously. Monitors own productivity. Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet quality of care and service standards. Keeps collaborating / supervising physician informed of progress and problems. Provides clinical consultations or provides referral information upon request. Responds to patient emergencies.
- Performance Management and Retention Duties: Clearly defines work expectations and job description. Recognizes and acknowledges individuals for a job well done and potential for leadership or advancement opportunities. Addresses performance issues immediately and directly with individual. Understands fundamentals of performance management and able to implement the process when necessary. Solicits feedback and conducts individual performance evaluations annually in a meaningful and timely fashion.
- Professional Development Duties: Develops and implements an orientation model for new APs to the service. Assists APs in addressing challenges and skill deficits and developing an action plan for improvement. Assigns work that uses appropriate skills and talents. Provides APs with ongoing responsibility and leadership opportunities for growth. Continually provides guidance, education, and support to APs. Encourages continuous growth and full potential of APs capabilities. Formulates and engages with AP Students assigned.
- Certified Nurse PractitionerPA (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Arts or Science (Required)
- 2+ years nurse practitioner experience
Strong clinical background in clinical specialty area.
Prior Management/Supervisory experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE