Job ID: 137108
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Date Posted: Jun 27, 2022
Work Schedule: Night shift.
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Position Description: Penn Medicine Princeton Health is seeking a Medical Technologist (Med Tech I) to join the PMPH Core Lab located at Penn Medicine at Princeton Health (Plainsboro, NJ)
The following provides a detail summary of the position and essential job duties and responsibilities.
• To perform complex study procedures within the clinical section assigned. Must be capable of competing assigned tasks using complicated automated instrumentation and techniques. Work independently with attention to detail to interpret complex test results and resolve instrument and/or serologic problems. Performs all duties in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements. Must also perform special responsibilities as assigned by the Section Supervisor involving the QC/PM Programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs and interprets basic and advanced technical procedures on blood samples and completes required quality control
2. Maintains equipment, reagents and other supplies to assure the quality and accuracy of test procedures. Perform preventive maintenance and performance checks on departmental equipment
3. Knows and helps oversee compliance with applicable federal and state laws
4. Assumes complete responsibility for the accuracy of study results.
OTHER JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Recognizes testing irregularities, identifies the cause, determines the solution and resolves the problems or refers it to the appropriate levels. Interface with staff to provide assistance in the resolution of problems
2. Adheres to explicit standard operating procedures.
3. Work independently with attention to detail to interpret complex test results and resolve instrument and/or serologic problems
4. Maintains, edits and review computer and manual records to ensure accurate record keeping
5. Provides instruction and training to other staff members, including new staff members and students
6. Assist the supervisor in the implementation of new procedures and in decision regarding new equipment and procedures
8. Participates in the QA program, including proficiency testing
9. Proficient knowledge of LIS
10. Complies with safety policies and procedures in the work area and uses applicable protective equipment
11. May assist the section supervisor in the evaluation and implementation of new procedures and new instrumentation.
12. Must be able to exercise independent judgment in the section. This includes the ability to accept delegated authority for making decisions regarding quality control programs and preventative maintenance.
13. Should be capable of communicating effectively with interdisciplinary hospital staff including medical and nursing personnel. Includes reporting results, replying to technical questions, and logistical matters under the direction of the Section Supervisor.
14. May be required to work unscheduled or varying shifts dependent upon workload or staffing requirements at the request of the Section Head or Laboratory Manager.
15. Perform other similar and related duties as requested.
• Bachelor’s degree in chemical, biological or laboratory science/medical technology science required
Related Work Experience
• Recent experience in a laboratory setting
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
• MT (ASCP or NCA), MLS(ASCP), or previously qualified as Medical Technologist prior to 2/28/92 under 42CFR493.1427 (3/14/90)
SPECIALIZED SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
• Proven ability to work with related complex automated instrumentation
• Required to function with complex automated instrumentation and report results in writing and by telephone.We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.